Only 2 days old

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2ghz macbook pro
I love it to death but my only concern is that the screen will fade out temporarily and then go back to the orginal brightness. My only guess is that it is the screen trying to adjust to the ambiant light. This is the newest model out of the macbook pro, if that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
Click on the Apple in the top left corner, system preferences, click display, then untick automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
thats one of the glories of the MBP, its ambient light sensor.

it may fix the problem, but it will render one feature useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
well disabling it for a moment will help him find out whether that is the problem, or whether he has larger issues.

a good place to start i think

Reaction score
I just got my MP three days ago and it does the same exact thing. I switched from Sony Vaio Duo Core. So it seems a little strange that this is happening. I am a pro photographer and my 24" Imac rocks for editing and everything else so this is a small concern. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help in this matter.

Mike Doran
D&W Images
www.dandwimages.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
It's a completely normal and useful function of the ambient light sensor. As already stated, it can easily be disabled if you would rather do without it.

Reaction score
Thank you. i appreciate it as stated fore this my first laptop that is a Mac product. So far other than that question it works great for my application.

Mike Doran
D&W Images

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2ghz macbook pro
thats what it was. thanks a bunch. I think i'll turn it back on because besides that it worked quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The other thing I may have missed here is that the brightness is also reduced before the display is put to sleep. The setting is under the Energy Saver preference under "Other Options" as "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
I've found the fading gets annoying when I put my hand over the left hand speaker where the sensor is located. Now I just try to avoid resting my hand there and it's all good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.