• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

10.4.10 is out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
MBP CD pops. MB C2D doesn't pop. iMac doesn't pop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
The safari update definitely didn't fix it. On apple.com's discussions a huge amount of people are having this problem, I'm surprised apple hasn't done anything yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
I just did an Archive&Install, updated software to 10.4.9, refused .10. Pops are gone. Yay. Thank gods for Carbon Copy Cloner.

And no, "repairing permissions" does not fix it. Nor does zapping the PRAM or resetting the SVRAM. Nor waving a black chicken over your head. It's a change in audio driver behavior and only a better version of that driver will fix it, none of that pointless voodoo shiite that might have been relevant back in the days of System 7.

Reaction score
No permissions to fix in System 7. It was tomorrow's OS yesterday.

A black chicken is for Windows 95. A white chicken or a brown chicken is for System 7. Sheesh.

Edit: In any case, the permissions fix mentioned above regarded WhiteNoiseMaker's Safari crash problems. So we can all rest easy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
PRAM Reset, Permission Repair ETC. might not fix your POP issue, but it's far from Voodoo junk and does work with certain issues.

Good one Brown Study.

I wonder what is going on with this whole POP issue since some Macs are affected and some are not. Kar has an Intel Mini, so do I but have run it for hours with the audio up FULL and not a pop no matter what I do, and trust me, I would hear it and be complaining to Apple if there was anything like that happening on my Mac!

There is an issue for sure since so many are reporting it, but it makes no sense that the same Mac is not doing it for another person.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Concerning the Popping noise. I've mentioned before I used to get it even before the upgrade. and I am noticing that now after I listen to a Song (doesn't matter how high the volume is) I'd hear it if there is nothing is playing for a while I'd just hear it only once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Also just had a safari crash....grrr...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I did, this morning. Archive&Install, then ran all the available updates _except_ 10.4.10

May I ask how? I update with super duper onto an external, but it already has 10.4.9

This safari crash thing is driving me nuts!!

M

MacHeadCase

I read somewhere this week that using Combo updates instead of the regular incremental updates was better because the combo updates make more verifications, system optimization and fixes.

Just updated now to 10.4.10 myself btw.

Made a backup of my 10.4.9 system first on the external, then started up in Safe Mode (tip from the same article), went to Apple's website and downloaded the 10.4.10 Combo updater.

Made sure all apps were quit, all peripherals unplugged and then let the installer do its thing. Double restart, then installed the latest Security update, another restart.

Now up and running and all seems fine! Wheeh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Can you do the combo after you've done the regular already? I'll do the combo next time for sure...

Safari 3 is awesome btw

M

MacHeadCase

You will have to manually download it but yes you can. I have seen some instances where problematic updates were corrected by reapplying the Combo update over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
May I ask how? I update with super duper onto an external, but it already has 10.4.9

This safari crash thing is driving me nuts!!

Cloned my entire hard drive to another one, just in case. (Carbon Copy Cloner)
Booted from DVD. Picked Archive&Install. This saved all documents, settings and most apps.
Downloaded the 10.4.9 combo update and installed it.
Ran software update and installed everything that was in there, too, except of course for 10.4.10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
This is ridiculous, I've had like 10 crashes since I got 10.4.10, 3 in Firefox, 1 in Safari, 1 in IE for Mac (I don't actually use it unless I want to see the web in idiot-vision) and 1 in Adium, and many others in other apps.

I HATE THIS UPDATE. I'VE DONE ALL THE FIXES I CAN FIND!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core Duo 1.83ghz 1gb ram 80gb HD
Wow...Yesterday I updated to 10.4.10. Everything was fine, and then this morning Safari was crashing like crazy. I noticed I had V.2.0.? of safari so I downloaded and installed 3.0. Safari won't even open anymore. I go to open the application and it crashes before it even opens. This really disappoints me.

M

MacHeadCase

Reinstall the Combo Update from the Apple Support Downloads webpage.

Take these precautions: start in safe mode (restart holding down the Shift key), unplug all peripherals except mouse and keyboard if you have a desktop model, do not use any apps while the installer does its thing (and that goes with EVERY update you install!). You will be prompted for the restart once it is done.

Although the damage with Safari might be done as you have already installed a newer version.

Anyway it's worth trying out. That is the method I used and have no problems whatsoever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.