How to undelete files from the mac os X trash?

Reaction score
Ok this is driving me nuts. In the trash can I can only find the "Empty trashcan" option.

But there's no option on undeleting files back to their original folders. I know you can drag it out of the trash but I can't the folder they all came from originally and it's slower too.

2) I want to uninstall parallels 3.0 and the windows XP OS to recover the space, but I can't find any Uninstaller program, and I had to settle with manually removing all the parallels folders in library folder and etc.

Is uninstalling every app like this in mac os x this difficult? Is there something like a "Programs and applications" program that lets me uninstall programs with just a single click like in windows?

3) How do I send files to the trashcan in mac os x without dragging it? I just want to do 1 or 2 clicks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
1) There isn't. Deal with it.

(Contrary to popular belief, Mac OS X doesn't do everything better than Windows, though yes, it does in many aspects.
Now if you excuse me, I have to dodge the angry flames of a thousand Mac fanboys.)

2) I haven't used Parallels yet, but I think it's safe to assume it's a very complicated piece of software, which is why it requires "installing" (as opposed to drag 'n' drop as with other apps) and "uninstalling."

You sure there's no uninstaller anywhere? There must be a Read Me or a guide online that tells you how to uninstall Parallels properly.

But anyways, for any other normal app (i.e., 90% of apps out there), uninstalling is just deleting the app.
1. Move to Trash
2. Empty Trash
3. ???
4. Profit

...No, seriously.

3) Right-click and select Move to Trash.
Or keyboard shortcut: Command Delete (Delete = "Backspace," not "Del")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I still don't understand why Apple dropped the great de-installer from Openstep. I think there are a couple of third party tools that have been mentioned here before. Search this thread for swicthers and search for the work uninstall.

You can right click or control click a file and choose "Move to Trash". I just highlight the file and use the Apple-Delete key combination. And to quickly empty the the trash I use the Apple-Shift-Delete combination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, Apple delete works for me. Usually unintentionally because I use option delete to delete the current name of the file when renaming things and I miss the option key and hit Command instead.

As for undeleting, well, you should always "be sure" when deleting things regardless of how you do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Download appzapper......

Reaction score
Prior to OS X, Command-Y untrashed the trash. But Apple killed it with OS X, and the sound of gnashing of teeth reverberated throughout the land. Complaints about its removal — mine included — fell on deaf ears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Prior to OS X, Command-Y untrashed the trash. But Apple killed it with OS X, and the sound of gnashing of teeth reverberated throughout the land. Complaints about its removal — mine included — fell on deaf ears.

Gotta love the missing features in OS X, over six years down the road.

As they say, FTFF!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
"Put Away," wasn't it called?

Kinda ironic.

Mac OS makes "Put Back" for Trash.
-> Windows makes "Restore" for Recycle Bin, most likely inspired by "Put Back."
-> People using Windows get used to concept of "Restore."
-> People switching to Mac OS X wonder why there is no "Restore."

[edited]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
sorry - undelete - I just click on trash can and recovered files

Reaction score
"Put Away," wasn't it called?

Kinda ironic.

Mac OS makes "Put Back" for Trash.
-> Windows makes "Restore" for Recycle Bin.
-> People using Windows get used to concept of "Restore."
-> People switching to Mac OS X wonder why there is no "Restore."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I might be wrong, but I could have sworn that the Parallels installer program will also perform an uninstall. Try re-downloading the Parallels demo and run the installer.

You can delete the Windows XP installation by starting Parallels, select Windows XP. Go to the File menu and click Delete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.