Upgrade from Panther to Leopard

Reaction score
I am new to macs and just bought a G5 with Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther. I am wanting to upgrade to Leopard when it comes out, but can someone tell me if I have to upgrade to Tiger before updating to Leopard? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nope, you can go straight to Leopard from Panther. No need to waste money on Tiger

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Will that mean I when I upgrade to Leopard I will have everything from Tiger also?

Reaction score
You'll have everything from Tiger that Leopard carries over. Thank the gods that doesn't include code still hanging on from OS 9's Finder.

I hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
new Imac, ibook g4
NOT TRUE i am trying to go from panther to leopard and it's not even starting the install process because it says i have to have 10.4 Tiger on my machine - it's messed up. what do i do?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Sounds like you are using a Leopard upgrade disk instead of a full install disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
new Imac, ibook g4
yes. i think that's it! does that mean i can't upgrade my computer or what??

Reaction score
If it's a Leopard upgrade disk rather than a full-install disk, it's looking for Tiger code to upgrade to Leopard but isn't finding it.

So, if it's only an upgrade from Tiger disk, you'll have to upgrade Panther to Tiger first, then upgrade Tiger to Leopard.

It would be much easier to get a full-install Leopard disk, and skip Tiger altogether.
does that mean i can't upgrade my computer or what??
G5 machines should have no difficulty running Leopard.

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah you'll need a retail full install disk of Leopard to install it. That upgrade disk was made for a brand new Mac so most probably for an Intel-based Mac only.

Not to mention that Apple's EULA says it is to be installed only on one Mac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.