iMac keeps ejecting CD

Reaction score
I was given a iMac 600 Mhz, blue dalmatian, which works well except that I can't boot from the CD-RW drive. The drive works perfectly except that it ejects the CD on start-up.
I have tried several boot-able CDs with the same result. I have tried: holding down the "C" key, holding down: Command, Option, Shift, and Delete, and selecting the CD as the start-up disk from the control panel.
On a PC there is a way to select boot from CD. Is there a similar option on this iMac. It is running OS 9.2.2.
I have used many Macs over the years. This is the only one that won't boot from a CD.
Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, MAC3XX.

To boot from a CD, you can't use any Apple CD that is lying around: if you don't have the disks that came with the iMac, you need a full OS install disk, either an OS 9 or OS X disk.

If you take a CD that comes with another Mac, it is model-specific and will not work on any other Mac model than the one it shipped with.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm trying to boot from Norton's 6.0, Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior, and even a OS 9.1 install disk. They have always worked in the past on many different Macs. But they won't work on this iMac.
Every CD is ejected when the computer restarts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.