SSH connection to Mac from PC

Reaction score
awhile back I discovered that I could access my Mac from a PC using VNC and SSH. I've tried out SSH and the connection worked great, because I tested it with my Windows XP virtual Machine. However, I do not know if any of the computers outside my home will be able to access it. What can I do to ensure that I can access my Mac from school/work computers? I've already got PuTTy for Windows, which did not require installation (like most Windows program do require installation), so I plan to run it from my USB Flash drive (memory stick). Also, I've seen an SSH connection from Mac to a Linux machine bring up the GUI of the Linux computer, could I expect the same thing from an SSH connection to my Mac from a Windows PC?

Reaction score
In my experience, yes. It should work. I used this technique very rarely as a way to transfer notes. I've never seen an SSH connection from a Mac to a Linux which is the only reason I'm a bit skeptical that you'll see the same results in a Mac-to-PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
SSH is SSH, as long as you have the appropriate software installed, and the server running, you shouldn't have any trouble.

As far as bringing up the GUI on the mac from linux in SSH, it was probably using X, the linux graphic environment, which works on mac because it is based around unix.

Not gonna work in Windows. Sorry. You'll have to use the VNC server on the mac, and a VNC client on windows, (Real VNC, Tight VNC come to mind immediately as free vnc viewers for windows, and Chicken of the VNC is a viewer for the mac).

The other thing to consider is if you are using not only a modem at your home, but a router as well, you will need to do some port forwarding in order to tell your router which machine you are trying to reach when you attempt to connect from outside your own network.

so, google "What's my ip?", and click the first link...don't use the ip in the link text, but actually click the link and see what your public IP is.

That's the IP you'll have to use to get to your home modem and router through SSH, Browser, VNC, whatever. Now find out what the private IP assigned to your home computer is, and log in to your router, and setup port forwarding for port 5900 (VNC Server) to your desired computer's private ip inside your network. do the same for port 22 (SSH) and 80 and 8080 (Website server).

Now if you type in the public ip from outside your home you should be able to raach the desired machine.

Best,

Brian

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score
SSH is SSH, as long as you have the appropriate software installed, and the server running, you shouldn't have any trouble.

As far as bringing up the GUI on the mac from linux in SSH, it was probably using X, the linux graphic environment, which works on mac because it is based around unix.

Not gonna work in Windows. Sorry. You'll have to use the VNC server on the mac, and a VNC client on windows, (Real VNC, Tight VNC come to mind immediately as free vnc viewers for windows, and Chicken of the VNC is a viewer for the mac).

The other thing to consider is if you are using not only a modem at your home, but a router as well, you will need to do some port forwarding in order to tell your router which machine you are trying to reach when you attempt to connect from outside your own network.

so, google "What's my ip?", and click the first link...don't use the ip in the link text, but actually click the link and see what your public IP is.

That's the IP you'll have to use to get to your home modem and router through SSH, Browser, VNC, whatever. Now find out what the private IP assigned to your home computer is, and log in to your router, and setup port forwarding for port 5900 (VNC Server) to your desired computer's private ip inside your network. do the same for port 22 (SSH) and 80 and 8080 (Website server).

Now if you type in the public ip from outside your home you should be able to raach the desired machine.

Best,

Brian

I finally accessed my router, but I can't seem to figure out how to do port forwarding. I know that I can sign up at dyndns.org. I also got my IP address, thanks to IPchicken. I have a linksys router, but don't know the model. Also, I just went up to Utah and a friend told me about a program called Mac DNA or Whatever its name was, which was supposed to let me connect to a Mac from an outside computer (just like VNC). He described as a Linux program that should work on Mac, Linux (duh), and Windows. If anyone has heard of such a program, can they tell me what it is. The router is all I have, so I am using my Mac's airport and the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.