Leopard: performance and Budget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I sat watching the demo videos on Apples own site And I got to thinking that when Vista came out the biggest Grip I heard about it was that if your machine had 1 gig ram it would almost be too slow to use.

What with all this lovely eye candy Leopard has what about performance in the real world ? Or is the OS in some way more in tune to the hardware it being from the same Company.

I was thinking if you used the web clip feature to make a widget what performance drop would you get with say five widgets ? And all this while you are using the cover flow feature to watch a video ? Difficult to answer as yet I know.

So the big question will the 1 gig RAM on my sons iMac cope ? Or will I need to Budget for more RAM ? Yes I suppose will be the answer

What are the "Units" thoughts ?

Reaction score
I found this:
at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
* a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
* at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools
256 megabytes minimum? I guess it's enough to boot the machine. Maybe "development purposes" means clicking on Spotlight.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Very Interesting Brown thanks for the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.