Virus protection?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am considering downloading LimeWire to be able to download media, but am afraid of contracting a virus. Does anyone know....

a) If it is safe to use Limewire on a Mac?

b) Is there any alternative to LimeWire?

c) What company, etc. provides virus protection, or virus scanning for Mac? I haven't noticed any factory installed software but maybe I am missing something?

As always, thanks.

pod

Reaction score
I've downloaded and used Limewire (for evaluation purposes only of course!) on various Macs over the last 4 years... works fine... no problems... no viruses...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
a) Yes.

b) Yes. Search for Acquisition in Google.

c) Virus scanning is not necessary on your Mac, as there are no Mac viruses. All Mac antivirus programs scan for Windows viruses to prevent you from spreading viruses to Windows users. Windows viruses cannot infect your Mac, but they can be passed to and infect Windows users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
you could always try clamxav if you really want to have an av client on your mac

Reaction score
All of the above.
When you install Clam you will notice that there aren't any updates... There aren't any viruses to protect against!

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks everyone. When I had a PC I had countless viruses. Before considering buying the Mac I didn't even think to research about viruses. It's amazing that now I no longer have to worry about viruses. I spent so much time on my old PC scanning, updating, rescanning, ahhh the time I could have saved if I had a mac. Thanks again, take care and good night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1gb 80gb 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo
There has been 0 viruses for OSX10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I find frostwire cleaner and less likely to cause problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.