does my aluminum powerbook have usb 1.0?

Reaction score
I have a 12" aluminum powerbook g4, 800Mhz, w/ combo drive, bluetooth, and airport built in.

Yesterday, upon plugging in a friend's Ipod. I got a message saying that i've plugged it into a USB 1 port, and that I should plug it into a USB 2.0 port. This is the first time that i've seen this message. I 've plugged my ipod into this computer numerous times before, and never got this notice.

I always thought that all aluminum powerbook have USB 2.0, why does mine have 1.0? Ever since then, I've noticed that file transfer on the USB port seem slower (maybe it's my imagination). I've had this powerbook for over 2 years, and i've never felt that the usb was slow until now. The only thing that i've done recently is to install new ram and reinstalled OSX 10.4

Can someone shed some light on this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
USB 2.0 was not introduced into the PowerBook line until April 2004.

There was no 800 Mhz G4 Ai PowerBook. The only Ai PowerBook that would come close is the 867Mhz 12", but that still didn't have USB 2.0 ports, as it was from the year 2003.

There was however, an 800 Mhz Ti PowerBook 12" model from 2002.
Are you sure this isn't the model you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple Menu> About this Mac> More Info...

Then select 'USB' and see if you have an entry called 'USB High-Speed Bus'. If you do, you're good to go. If you only have 'USB Bus' and nothing with a Speed entry 'Up to 480Mb/sec' then you only have USB 1.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.