iBook decision support requested

K

kevrodg

I am going to make the switch to Mac within the next few weeks and am on the fence on wheter to go with a 12" iBook or 12" Powerbook. I have been going back and forth between the two and the Powerbook was starting to take the lead. However, the iBook is the current frontrunner. For what I want to do (Web, e-Mail, Office, iLife), I am almost certain I will not need the Powerbook. I was hoping to get some responses that I will be perfectly happy with the iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
kevrodg said:
I am going to make the switch to Mac within the next few weeks and am on the fence on wheter to go with a 12" iBook or 12" Powerbook. I have been going back and forth between the two and the Powerbook was starting to take the lead. However, the iBook is the current frontrunner. For what I want to do (Web, e-Mail, Office, iLife), I am almost certain I will not need the Powerbook. I was hoping to get some responses that I will be perfectly happy with the iBook.

You will indeed be perfectly happy with the iBook. I have a 900 G3, and I absolutely love it. For everything that you mention, it will be more than enough. And with the money you save, you can increase the RAM, or buy other accessories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I second that, I use both iBook and Powerbook at the store in my way of trying them out to make my notebook choice. For normal use like you stated the iBook will be a happy thing :)

OP
J

Joeytpg

ibok seems great......but antoher thing to keep in mind is that if you want it to last a looong time...powerbook seems a better deal.......

OP
T

TylerMoney

iBook seems perfect for you; it's a great computer...especially the new updated ones.

OP
W

wickedbusa

I'm on an iBook G4 800 with 640 RAM and I am happy with it. It does everything I want it to do and is ROCK SOLID compared to my old Compaq laptop. If money is an issue for you, consider the iBook, you'll be happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I was also faced with the same decision and opted for the ibook in the end.

Being a long time pc user, telling people i had just bought a sub-ghz laptop didn't seem like a fun prospect (and believe me most people don't get the power pc speed differnece thing...) But with the new 12" ibooks at 1Ghz, i was happy and ordered it!

For the difference in price i'm going to buy my g/f an ipod mini so she stops stealing my 2nd gen. one.

Plus i'm dying to see what the new ipods (gen. 4) will be like when they come (but hopefully they'll wait a while until i can affored them!)

OP
V

Violence

If you were considering the Powerbook, you obviously have some money to play with .. Go with the top 14" iBook. With an Extreme card and all the rest it seems like the best value.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.