Updating the Mac OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac DV, stock
I have an older Mac running an early version of OS 9 and i have 2 quick questions:

1- Is there somewhere I can get some sort of full update to as current as possible, or do i need to keep slugging it out by downloading one update at a time?

2- Does my Mac have to have it's current OS completely updated and it's firmware (bios?) updated if i was switching to OS X, or can just, at the minimum, upgrade it's firmware and go directly to OS X from my early version of OS 9?

Probably silly questions, but I'm trying to understand whatever I can about this thing before I mess it up...

Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

If you want to stay in OS 9, the latest version that was ever made was 9.2.2 so if you already have that installed, that's it you're at the end of OS 9 street. If you're not running 9.2.2, then you can download free updates from the Apple website.

If you want to upgrade to Mac OS X, I would not suggest you go to OS X Tiger 10.4.x as your old iMac would get kinda slow: besides, your graphics card would not be able to support some of the added features Tiger has to offer.

Mac OS X Panther 10.3.x was very stable and fast so I would recommend you buy a full install disk set off of eBay. You might want to pack your iMac with as much RAM as you can afford to make the transition as smooth as possible.

And yes, you just might have to install some firmware if you choose to go OS X.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac DV, stock
thanks! I'll get on downloading those firmware updates.

Now, 9.2.2 is the highest that OS 9 went. I'm starting at 9.0.4. All I can seem to find is incremental updates. Is there a full update to 9.2.2 hanging out on Apple's website somewhere that I'm overlooking, or does the updated process just go step-by-step?

Reaction score
The System 9 updates were always one piece at a time. In fact even with 9.2.2 there was a QuickTime update that came after. But I think that you have a bit of a problem because if I remember correctly, System 9.1 was a paid upgrade. You can't get to 9.2.2 without it.

Reaction score
If you have a 'Flavors Imac' as in colors ,like a slot load,You must Update the Firmwear before installing OS 10. Unix code can fry the video chip.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac DV, stock
I'll be updating the firmware and OS later today. Workin' midnights and it's time to finish my nap, lol.

M

MacHeadCase

Note that you must update the firmware only if you are updating to Mac OS X. Don't install it if you choose to stay with OS 9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.