• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Shouldn't we be promoting other users not to go for Macs insteads

Reaction score
If Vista viruses are worth writing about (yawn), and publicizing the author's nickname, think of the incentive —the fame — for writing a successful Mac virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
and people say that I'm nuts when I run out of blog topics. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a way to make a computer ssystem secure, do not take it out of the box it came in. ;D

Good one Rman! :D That might just work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
benefits of increased popularity like more software developers? Personally I can't visualise Windows switchers coding Mac applications within a time frame of at least 1 year.

Where on earth did you pull that from? If software companies detect a growing Mac market they are more likely to develop software if they can make a profit from it. Your wild ideas about how long programmers will take to start developing for OSX are irrelevant.

By mac users not promoting macs, we can slow down the possible treat of a virus. It's about slowing it down, instead of a rude abrupt call for Mac users that their system is not secure at all

As Brown Study pointed out, this is just an internet forum, the Mac does not orbit around this place, and neither will it stand or fall based on our recommendation. If we all came on here one day and stated Macs are rubbish, it wouldn't make one iota of difference.

Even if the theory about obscurity meaning security were remotely true, as I've stated here before it would - in theory - require 50% market share for virus-writing to become more profitable for OSX than for Windows (and profit is becoming a bigger and bigger reason for writing viruses). And there's no way in **** Macs will reach that, even if every member of every Mac forum had the Apple logo tattooed on their butt and ran around naked.

Edit: I love the way h-e-l-l is considered a swear word and butt isn't. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
. . . even if every member of every Mac forum had the Apple logo tattooed on their butt and ran around naked.
Hmmm.

That would mean I could throw away my X-ray glasses I bought from the back page of a 40-year-old comic book.

At last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Nice one, brown study :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
What DevilBoy said. Yes Windows is more popular so more viruses will be made for Windows. However, Windows doesn't help itself by letting the user be stupid. There is no need for an average user to have root access. This is another reason why I love Macs. It hides the stuff that the average user does not need to know about, but it is powerful enough so power users can really utilize the full power of OS X and Unix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
either way, macs will probably ending up getting viruses, mac probably wont even come close to the market share windows has for quite a long time. mac people generally seem to be happier people, i can't really fathom someone hacking away on a Macintosh creating a virus. i really don't think we should stop promoting macs, they are ultimately better for the most part. we are nice people, helping our nice friends get nice computers.

[nicé.]

edit:: sorry, i didn't even notice a second page! that root privilege thing is really smart thinking on apples part! but either way, most of us "promoting" macs, are just helping our unknowing friends:p

also:: knightlie! how did you know where my apple tattoo was?! :|:p

Reaction score
Not suggesting to some poor Windows sufferer that there's a way out is the same as tossing an anvil to a shipwreck victim.

Your heart would have to be made of flint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I think that there is sufficent entrenched hatred out there of the Mac that I see on other locations on the internet, that no matter what amount of promotion that might happen whether that be on our part or Apple's a significant proportion of people will never want to have anything to do with our beloved Mac OS X.

It's inexplicable, it's ignorant, it's human nature. Since switching from Linux/Windows I now view the hatred and seething flames from trolls everywhere with a mild amusement. Especially since most of these views are based on what the Mac was pre-2001. They still think that Apple hardware is more expensive than the $399 Walmart computer, they still think that Apple users are smug metrosexuals who wear beréts and sip cappuchino in high-priced coffee shops, and still think that, for some reason, we all hang on Job's every word. Hey, Windows has improved quite a bit (then devolved with Vista) so let 'em think whatever they want.

Though I will admit, that there was a thread on another site which was talking about an Apple product there was one guy who likes to troll every Apple thread. He got run out by a whole bunch of recent switchers who recently got a Mac of some form and loved it. They weren't going to convince anyone, however because with certain people the ignorance is strong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Originally Posted by rman
There is a way to make a computer ssystem secure, do not take it out of the box it came in.

Good one Rman! :D That might just work!

Yeah it will work great until someone breaks into your place and steals your mac in the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.