• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Shouldn't we be promoting other users not to go for Macs insteads

Reaction score
Just food for thought,
I know this may sound selfish, but we should stop promoting Macs to Windows users. Stop saying that the hardware is not more expensive, the system is more reliable and there are no viruses for Macs.

Because as more Windows users switch to Mac, Mac's market share will go up and with a higher market share, sooner or later there would be a Mac Virus.

Come on, admit it, the only reason why macs don't have viruses is because the market share is too small, not because it runs on Unix or any other reasons, but because virus creators are simply too lazy to target Mac users. Now, when the market share gets bigger, some guy may just decide "Hey, look, the Mac's market share is getting bigger and bigger, why don't we create a Mac virus and have some fun?". In fact, it will be terribly funny to develop a virus for LEOPARD, just as the Mac's market is rising super quickly

And when this virus strikes, almost all of us will be infected. We are blinded by our own confidence that we forgo an anti virus program. How many of us actually use a anti virus program. I dare say less than 20 ppl would use such a program, and I will admit I am one of those who don't use any anti virus program for my Mac. (Except maybe for macscan, but that's more for spyware - Yes, there is spyware for macs)

So fellow Mac users, let's stop promoting our excellent OS to other users =)

Reaction score
I've thought about it more then once, but even if we all stopped promoting Macs, Apple would still advertise how great they are.

The way I see, we have two choices: stop promoting macs, and wait for a few years for the viruses to start, because Apple is still advertising. OR, keep promoting Macs and bring the viruses faster But, we get the satisfaction of knowing we converted a few people.

Either way, we'll have to get some protection eventually, the only difference is the (possible) amount of time it will take.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I was just bored.. But don't you think this argument is valid to a certain extent at the very least?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have come to believe that 'security through obscurity' is a myth - at least as it applies to OS X.

Apple and the Mac community have long touted OS X as being malware-free. MS fanboys are chomping at the bit for some major exploit or virus to be released for the Mac. It hasn't come. I think the latest estimates put market share at something like 22 million installed users. It still hasn't come. Darwin (the OS X kernel) is open-source, freely available to be studied and exploited. It still hasn't come. Tutorials for installing hacked copies of OS X on non-Apple hardware are all over the Internet. It still hasn't come.

Wouldn't you think by now that some talented virus writer would come along and knock Apple's block off? It seems to me that it must not be that easy to do.

Also, aside from tracking cookies, what Spyware (executable software) exists for the Mac?

OP
Y
Reaction score
so are you trying to imply that say we reach the current market share of Windows, there may still be no virus for Macs? Just because Mac Users are "generally nice"? or that Mac Software is rather secure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You would lose out on all the benefits that will come with increased popularity, like more software developers, ported games, more Mac related products and accessories, etc.

I'm taking this basic IT class and we've been talking about security. Some extremists worried about cyber-terrorism think we're overly dependent on IT and we should basically abandon network-based IT. My response was that it's all a balance of risk/reward. People who drive are more likely to get into a deadly accident than people who walk, but the risk is low so we drive. If the risk went up significantly, we would start walking more.

There may be threats of viruses, cyber terrorism or whatever you want to call it, but in reality the risk is very low and just being smart about what you do will keep you safe from 90% of the threats that target idiots. The "Slammer" and "Code Red" viruses were both designed to attack security weaknesses that had been identified and patched long before, but lazy people didn't update. Before switching to Macs I never had a virus problem with my computers because I was smart about how I used it and I didn't let idiots touch it.

We also discussed that the biggest myth in IT is the idea of total security. Nothing in the IT world is completely secure, NOTHING. There's always a way to find a workaround or reengineering. Apple users who think they are completely safe are just kidding themselves. The risk may be much lower, but it's there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so are you trying to imply that say we reach the current market share of Windows, there may still be no virus for Macs? Just because Mac Users are "generally nice"? or that Mac Software is rather secure?

I'm not saying that there will never be an OS X virus, but I think 'security through obscurity' is a myth. There are a heck of a lot of Macs out there, you'd think that there would be at least ONE virus by now if the only thing protecting OS X was that it was obscure. Especially since it's such a compelling platform to exploit based on the how frequently it is touted as being secure and virus-free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I was just bored.. But don't you think this argument is valid to a certain extent at the very least?

No. Virus writers have produced there wares for Windows with a minimum of effort, with no access to the source code. As has been pointed out Darwin is open source and still no viruses of any concern are around.

I'd rather the Mac gain popularity, software and support than we languish without that support and have to console ourselves that "at least we don't have any viruses."

Besides, the Mac will never reach Windows' popularity.

OP
Y
Reaction score
benefits of increased popularity like more software developers? Personally I can't visualise Windows switchers coding Mac applications within a time frame of at least 1 year.

By mac users not promoting macs, we can slow down the possible treat of a virus. It's about slowing it down, instead of a rude abrupt call for Mac users that their system is not secure at all

Apple and the Mac community have long touted OS X as being malware-free. MS fanboys are chomping at the bit for some major exploit or virus to be released for the Mac. It hasn't come. I think the latest estimates put market share at something like 22 million installed users. It still hasn't come. Darwin (the OS X kernel) is open-source, freely available to be studied and exploited. It still hasn't come. Tutorials for installing hacked copies of OS X on non-Apple hardware are all over the Internet. It still hasn't come.
What's the 22 million when it is only about 2% of the world's computer market share (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/06/01/mac-market-share-update/)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the 22 million when it is only about 2% of the world's computer market share (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/06/01/mac-market-share-update/)

That number doesn't take into account those that download and play with Darwin. It doesn't account for hacked copies. It doesn't account for older hand-me-down machines.

Even still, that's a huge number of machines. It's just my personal opinion that if it were as easy to do as it is for Windows, it would have been done by now.

I'm not trying to delude myself into believing that OS X is the be all and end all of security. I KNOW that there will eventually be viruses for it. But to say that the only reason there are not viruses is that the OS is too obscure is just silly. Second to Windows machines, what's the next OS that comes to the minds of the average Joe? Macintosh. That's not obscurity if the general public is aware of it.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Then why not make the time before the "will eventually" last longer. What's the point of us promoting macs everyday? Why actually promote it?

Reaction score
A Mac anti-virus application offers no protection, anyway.

David Pogue, a Mac expert, author of many Mac books and computer columnist for the New York Times, wrote a column correcting himself and apologizing for propagating the safety-through-obscurity myth.

I linked to it here because the Times requires a website subscription and password. It's near the bottom. If you run a page search for Pogue, you'll find it quickly.
Then why not make the time before the "will eventually" last longer. What's the point of us promoting macs everyday? Why actually promote it?
Why not? With six billion people in the world, this Mac forum or any other doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
We also discussed that the biggest myth in IT is the idea of total security. Nothing in the IT world is completely secure, NOTHING. There's always a way to find a workaround or reengineering. Apple users who think they are completely safe are just kidding themselves. The risk may be much lower, but it's there.
There is a way to make a computer ssystem secure, do not take it out of the box it came in. ;D

OP
Y
Reaction score
but wouldn't you agree that virus creators have no incentive to create virues for Mac now?

OP
Y
Reaction score
There is a way to make a computer ssystem secure, do not take it out of the box it came in. ;D

You might as well suggest we do away with computers entirely. =) We are discussing the reduction of risk of viruses on a Mac here

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but wouldn't you agree that virus creators have no incentive to create virues for Mac now?

What incentive wouldn't they have? Can you imagine the press surrounding a virus release for OS X? The infamy would be tremendous - far more so than writing a successful Windows virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This has been discussed here rather often and the answer remains the same...... Market share has nothing to do with it.:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61075&highlight=virus+market+share

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63149&highlight=virus+market+share

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49800&highlight=virus+market+share

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186&highlight=virus+market+share

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41100&highlight=virus+market+share

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39494&highlight=virus+market+share

I have posted this response here and on several other forums, so here is the reasoning in a nutshell:
Moi said:
Currently there are over 75,000 known viruses for the Windows platform, there are absolutely none for the Mac OS X platform...and its not because people don't want to mess with a 'fringe' OS. Unix-based OS's (like OS X) won't experience all of the problems with email-borne viruses and worms that are so prevalent in the Microsoft world. I am not saying that just because there are none, it is not possible to get a virus in OS X. Someday there may be. Sure its been almost 5 years with OS X and still none (compared to the 75,000+ for Windows), but even if one did, it would not affect any great number of computers.
This is because Mac OS X doesn't allow users to use the root account unless they first enable the option. This lessens the likelihood of email-driven viruses and worms, as most users would not even know how to enable the root account or rarely even need to. In order for a virus to attack your system it must be given root user priviliges, otherwise it will not be allowed to run. Due to the strong separation between normal users and the privileged root user, a Mac OS X user would have to be running as root to really do any damage to the system. Also, there are also no self-executing programs or files in Mac OS X. So a user would have to read the email, save the attachment, give the attachment executable permissions, and then run the executable. The user could damage his /user/home directory, but that's about it. For it to infect the entire system the steps would have to become the following: read, save, become root, give executable permissions, run. The more steps, the less likely users will bother with it, the less likely a virus infection becomes, and certainly the less likely a catastrophically spreading virus becomes.

Running as root (or Administrator) is common in the Windows world. In fact, Windows XP, supposed Microsoft's most secure desktop operating system, automatically makes the first named user of the system an Administrator, with the power to do anything he wants to the computer. Also, Windows software is either executable or not, depending on the file extension. It's easy to run executables in the Windows world, and users who get an email with a subject line like ''Check out this wicked screensaver!'' and an attachment, too often click on it without thinking first, and before they know it, a new worm has taken over their systems. Sometimes the simple act of opening the email to read it will trigger the malware.

Basically, while I would not consider any OS superior either, Mac OS X establishes a more secure footing than Microsoft Windows, one that makes it far harder for viruses to take hold in the first place, but if one does take hold, harder to damage the system, but if one succeeds in damaging the system, harder to spread to other machines and repeat the process.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I don't outwardly push the Mac on anyone. I think the vast majority of threads asking if switching to a Mac is really as great as it seems are responded to by asking "what are your needs - maybe Windows would better suite them".

Either way, I don't think that increased market share will amount to as many viruses as you'd see on the Windows platform, because I believe the OS X platform is inherently more secure. Sure, you'll see the occasional exploit, but nothing is perfect. What I don't believe you will see is the literally thousands of viruses that you see released for Windows within the course of a year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.