• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony DCR SR52 HDD camcorder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just about to buy a sony HDD camcorder from Amazon this morning, and have been trawling the reviews. I was interested in the Sony DCR-SR52 however 2 of the reviews slam it as being non compatible with macs???

Is this true? I always thought Sony and Mac were compatible camcorderwise..

Should I steer clear as they advise??

Can anyone recomend a good camcorder for use with a Mac? £300-400 ($800) to spend

Cheers
Swillomac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Sony and Mac are compatible camcorderwise, except for the HDD versions and DVD versions. I found when searching for my camcorder that they sometimes make all three versions of the same camcorder (mini DV). Check out this and search sony hdd and there you will see all sorts of explanations.

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

Then check out the Sony HDR-hc5...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
That is interesting. I just used my Sony DV8 with my Mac yesterday and it was fine. Glad I didn't buy one of the others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.