• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Everio USB/Firewire

Reaction score
Is it possible to find a 6pin to firewire cable? And if so is it still possible to use firewire on everios even though they only come with USB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I don't think you can use firewire on an everio that only comes with USB, though I have seen some USB to Firewire converter cables...not sure how well they work, but pretty sure that it won't let you outpot the video for importing in realtime...which I'm guessing is what you are wanting to do.

Just import the video files (.mod) from the camera to your computer via USB file transfer, and convert them from there.

Brian

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey yeh thats what ive been doing although some of my footage files come up abit distorted with black lines throughout them when movement occurs an example is at is there a name 4 these black lines? (doesnt come up that bad in this size video but once played on tv is very noticable... i thought if u could use firewire it could stop this as the other footage i have used of dv taped cameras is perfect and that uses firewire. The footage is fine viewed on camera screen..
I use ffmpeg the transfer to .dv files!! Please help

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey yeh thats what ive been doing although some of my footage files come up abit distorted with black lines throughout them when movement occurs an example is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0WZC-VQzig is there a name 4 these black lines? (doesnt come up that bad in this size video but once played on tv is very noticable... i thought if u could use firewire it could stop this as the other footage i have used of dv taped cameras is perfect and that uses firewire. The footage is fine viewed on camera screen..
I use ffmpeg the transfer to .dv files!! Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I read about this problem the other day, and it is something to do with the record mode or rercord standard you are using. So NTSC is 29.97 frames per second, and your TV tries to scan at that rate, but if you recorded in PAL which is 30 fps, then you get black lines, and vice versa i imagine from PAL tv with recorded NTSC settings.

Also could have something to do with interlacing the video during conversion. May be a setting for de-interlace that needs to be selected/un-selected.

if you can't find the answer here....search on forums.macrumors.com in the digital video section.

Best,

Brain

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

I ended up using Capty Mpeg which came with the camera switching from ffmpeg, which was a great help as the black lines stopped occuring, although i have not watched on TV screen yet but will let u know wat happens!! And will take your advice if doesnt work!!
The onl prob with Capty (minor) is that the footage colour seems to be dimmer once encoded through this!!! but this is no prob at all!!!
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.