installing windows 95

Reaction score
My kids have a lot of old win 95 games... I bought a win 95 instalation disk on ebay and I want to install this os on parrellels,,,, I have a mini mac with no floppy drive so I cannot use the boot disk.
any advice out there on how to get win95 new install to boot on parrellels

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the Mini your only computer? What I usually do in your situation is make a Bootable 95 CDROM. You would have to have a PC with floppy to feed it the Boot Floppy though. Nero will do it on the PC. On the Mac I am not sure since to make a bootable CD you need the bootable media.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can attach a USB floppy drive to a Mac and use it as a bootable floppy in Parallels.

It's handy to have one of these in your arsenal - you never know when you have an old floppy disk you might want to read data from.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can attach a USB floppy drive to a Mac and use it as a bootable floppy in Parallels.

It's handy to have one of these in your arsenal - you never know when you have an old floppy disk you might want to read data from.

Hahaha, I am amazed I did not think of that as I have one in my Laptop bag just in case. Glad your memory is working today!!! That will work.

OP
G
Reaction score
burned a bootable CD, it boots in parrellels and ends up at a DOS prompt A:>
when i eject the boot cd and insert the win95 instalation CD it is not recognised.

Any ideas how to proceed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when I said a bootable CD I meant a 95 Bootable CD with 95 on it. If you insert the 95 cd after you boot from your Boot CD, can you change to that drive and run setup? Never tried it in Parallels as I do not own Parallels, but it should work. In other words put in the drive letter at the prompt of the CD and go dir. You should see a setup.exe on the 95 CDROM. Of not go CD (Change Directory) Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.