A couple of questions for a new switcher

Reaction score
Hey guys I purchased a Macbook pro 17" 2.2 Ghz last month and I absolutely love it.

I have a couple of questions regarding some freeware. First of my crappy toshiba that has all of my music doesn't stay on long enough to copy all of my music to disk. Is there a way that I can deauthorize that computer for my ipod or should I download a program that allows me to bring my songs onto my new mac. What program should I use to do this?

Another question that I have is I used to rip and burn DVDs. What programs are out there that will allow me to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
not really sure bout ur first question. . .but for burning DVD's a program called "toast" is the best IMO. . .

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation on the burning software. Do you know of any ripping programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I have a couple of questions regarding some freeware. First of my crappy toshiba that has all of my music doesn't stay on long enough to copy all of my music to disk. Is there a way that I can deauthorize that computer for my ipod or should I download a program that allows me to bring my songs onto my new mac. What program should I use to do this?

If you're talking about transferring your purchased music to your new computer, iTunes has an option for this on the new Mac. Keep in mind that you need all your music to be on your iPod already.

If this doesn't work, you can use something called iPod Disk, available from opensourcemac.org.[/QUOTE]

OP
S
Reaction score
A friend of mine had told me about opensource, but I just wanted to get some more experienced mac users opinions. Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I used Red Chair Software's Anapod CopyGear (shareware) to simply transfer my iPod's music over to my Mac. It allows you to read the file system of the iPod just as you would any other disk and copy it wherever you want. It does a great job.

Reaction score
I used Red Chair Software's Anapod CopyGear (shareware) to simply transfer my iPod's music over to my Mac. It allows you to read the file system of the iPod just as you would any other disk and copy it wherever you want. It does a great job.

so would this help me if i needed to copy my music from my iPod to my new mac? would i be able to put it into iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

iPod Disk from opensourcemac does just this, but it also preserves the meta data (play counts) and playlists from his old computer...something that was very important to me when I switched. I didn't want my meticulously organized music library being stripped back down to just the ID3 tags. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.