Firefox vs Safari. .

Reaction score
Im sure its been debated a bunch of times already, but I've always used safari and just downloaded Firefox because people said it was better and so far i dont see the difference. . Does Firefox do anything special or is it just a perference thing.

Reaction score
You know, it's funny, but I don't know what Steve Jobs is smoking. In my opinion and in my experience, Firefox is much faster and much more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i totally agree with title27gt. it seems firefox is way faster and seems like it does alot more with plugins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I've had the opposite experience, firefox has always crashed at least 4 times a day for me, I use safari and its way more stable and the beta is faster.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been using Firefox on my Mac since day one and have found it to be very reliable. My main preference pertains to the way it handles RSS feeds. I also find it to be faster in many situations, although I have read many reports indicating that Safari is quicker to render pages.

Reaction score
I've been using Firefox on my Mac since day one and have found it to be very reliable. My main preference pertains to the way it handles RSS feeds. I also find it to be faster in many situations, although I have read many reports indicating that Safari is quicker to render pages.
Yea, like I said we're always hearing how fast Safari is but I've had some pretty frustrating times with Safari as far as speed goes and I don't intend on ever using it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
safari is OK but limited. Firefox is much more expandable and easy to tweak. lately i've been having nothing but problems with Safari so i've had to use either Camino or Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
i have heard very similar things, but i have been using safari from day one and it for me... has been faster in almost every case compared to that of firefox, and believe it or not, much more stable. Go figure !

--

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Safari is fine.....firefox used to feel slower. I am using Netscape Navigator 9 at the moment...runs like a dream too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
I'd recommend that you to use whatever browser you like best - be that Safari, Firefox, or anything else.

But... Keep something Gecko based - like Firefox - around for sites that don't display properly in your chosen browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb
But... Keep something Gecko based - like Firefox - around for sites that don't display properly in your chosen browser.
Then better keep Opera for backup. It displays invalid websites much better than any Gecko browser.

On Windows my main browser is Opera. I think its way better than anything else, including Firefox. Its faster, much more stable, renders pages correctly, tabs work better than in other browsers, mouse gestures are very useful. Hovewer on Mac its interface seems rather ugly. Try it on Mac - maybe you'll like its interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I love Safari because it takes away all the clutter of web browsing. I only want a window, URL box, home, back/forward and refresh buttons. I have no interest in RSS or plugins. 99% of web pages work with Safari anyway, so I rarely have any problems with it.

Firefox feels like you're running a PC browser on OS X and it's very ugly compared with the attractive interface of Safari.

Reaction score
I'm caught between because I find Safari MUCH faster, but it's not quite as functional. In that, for one, photobucket doesn't work on Safari and I have to fire up Firefox to upload pictures. Safari seems to time out on me at least once a day whilst I open the same sites in Firefox and they work perfectly. There's a few other narky things which bug me, and prevent me from migrating to using Safari 100% of the time, as much as I'd like to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I prefer Safari because of its simplicity. Unless you are a power user most people won't notice much of a difference between each of the browsers. Firefox isn't a bad browser for the Mac and is my second browser of choice on the rare occasion Safari doesn't like a page.

Camino just gets annoying after a while which uses the Firefox engine with a Mac interface. It has a few problems rendering, especially flash content. Opera is a good browser, but I find a lot of sites still don't support it, not even Google Calendars, plus it just randomly goes on a go slow sometimes and it is not my internet because I have no problems with other browsers.

Between Safari and Firefox it is all about personal preferences really. Both are easy to use and good at rendering and both are quick. If you need more add-ons or you need the full versions new Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail then go with Firefox, if you are after something more simple then Safari is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use Safari with a few plugins: SafariStand, Saft, Inquisitor, and SafariPlus. It does everything I need, and its still faster. And it fits in with OS X, instead of Firefox's ugly Windows look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I know that Firefox is slower but I stick with it for two reasons:

1) Bookmark Bar: I use folders within the bookmark bar and Firefox handles them a lot smoother (you can hover over different folders to see). On Safari, you have to click to open the folder, and then click to get out of it.

2) Image Properties: I used this a lot in Internet Explorer before I switched and I couldn't believe it was missing in Safari. Right-clicking an Image to see it's dimensions only works with Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
My perference was definitely Firefox in my Windows days. However, since switching over to Mac, I've had absolutely no problems with Safari. Works like a champ for me and I prefer Safari over Firefox. Safari just seems a bit faster to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I find safari not as reliable as it has a lot of rendering bugs.

Safari run javascript much faster than firefox. The web2.0 animations have a much higher frame rate. However, Safari has a lot of quirky bugs with it - sometimes it will move elements on the X-axis when your code only specifies the Y. Very weird.

Sometimes safari will refuse to load a page. You have to hit stop. then hit reload. <shrug>

Safari uses aqua form elements. The developer has no control over it. That REALLY stinks - not being able to control the look of your forms unless you specify images and do a LOT of javascript work. What if your page has a flat simple look - you dont want all these water/mercury/wet/blue looking blobs all over the dam page.

Augh... im getting started again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What if your page has a flat simple look - you dont want all these water/mercury/wet/blue looking blobs all over the dam page.

By flat simple, you mean a Windows 98 look? Those 'blobs' are part of OS X!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.