• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook - You're annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I'm so irritated! Try having this noise in your MacBook. Constantly, the noises are happening from the fan. Fans hum, not buzz. I took my MacBook to the Apple store, and they said "Fan noise normal." My dad picked it up so I couldn't tell them that that was bull. I lived with it for a while, then posted my original thread(see profile). My MB probably spends 95% of the time at 6200 RPM, the maximum speed. I think that my MacBook was built by that machine specifically to annoy me. So you can see the video. Would you like this? BTW, I can always hear the fan, it's loud enough for that.

My ever so annoying MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You should get your hands on Fan Control. I noticed my fan kicking in for no good reason, but after I installed Fan Control and manually set the options, it hasn't been a problem. Combined with CoreDuo Temp, I've found a sweet spot where the laptop stays cool and quiet at the same time :D

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Kash, but the thing is - it's always noticeable. It doesn't matter whether it's at 1800 or 6200 - I can ALWAYS hear it. The noise isn't right, don't you realize that? Fans hum. Not BUZZZ.

Reaction score
I always notice my mini's fans too- you should be able to notice them. If you don't hear them, they aren't running, which (usually) isn't a good thing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Especially at the lower RPM's that noise just sounds wrong to me. I have never owned a MacBook but it does sound like a Buzz and not a normal fan. My opinion anyway.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always notice my mini's fans too- you should be able to notice them. If you don't hear them, they aren't running, which (usually) isn't a good thing.
PL, the Apple Tech I called and directed to the video said that that will happen if I don't get them fixed. The fans will stop working, and I simply don't want to see what happens when that starts.
Especially at the lower RPM's that noise just sounds wrong to me. I have never owned a MacBook but it does sound like a Buzz and not a normal fan. My opinion anyway.

Other than PL, you're the first to get why i am REALLY concerned. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have to dissent regarding Fan Control. Maybe there's just something wrong with my MBP, but my fans will run extremely fast for no reason also. Even if it's just sitting there, doing nothing with maybe a Word document open, they will just be humming. I installed fan control and set it. Guess what, it's says the fans are only at around like 1,000 when they are obviously hitting in the range of 3,000 or basically as fast as I've ever heard them run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Sorry about that, I didn't actually watch the video (I was in class :p)

But I agree, that is NOT a normal sound for fans. Sounds like a failing fan to me. To be more specific it's the sound of the bearings failing in the fan.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry about that, I didn't actually watch the video (I was in class :p)

But I agree, that is NOT a normal sound for fans. Sounds like a failing fan to me. To be more specific it's the sound of the bearings failing in the fan.

Agreed. Sounds that way to me also. Been around so many failing fans so I usually pick up if something does not sound right.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alrighty, a box is coming for my MB. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Nuh uh. The only time the fans in my mini accelerate to audible levels (i.e. more than a faint hiss), is when I'm putting it under a really heavy load.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Sounds like the bearings have gone, or are going, in the fan. Under normal use the fans are unnoticeable. Not silent, but not loud, either, you'll get a whirr, not a buzz.

This Fan Control stuff sounds worrying to me - my MacBook knows when to turn the fan on and I'm happy to trust it's judgement without overriding it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Checked out your vid. If I had just bought a new fan for one of my desktops that sounded like that, it would have gone back to the store no question.

So, grabbed my wife's new MB to check it out. Don't have much time this morning to see what it will do under useage. Only compared the sound of it to yours. Also, am sitting about 12' from the refrigerator, so I am not in a silent room.

The type of sound is the same. It was sitting at 1600 rpm after a boot, enough use to download and install FanControl. While it can be heard at the lowest rpm's with the MBP up to me ears, it is virtually silent from a distance equal to sitting on my lap until it hits around 22-2500 rpm. Fan control 1.1 only allowed me to change it up to 3500. At that speed, the sound quality is the same as yours. There is really no way to compare the sound volume between our two machines.

edit: Nope, changed my mind about doing some more testing right now, somehow missed the post this morning about you're sending it back - prob still half asleep

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I thought it would be happening, but apple canada doesn't do that :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
doesn't do what? send you a box to pack it in?

Are you still sending it back to Apple?

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have to take it to the store.

they don't do mail in repair

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.