Cable modem not working

Reaction score
Hi there, I just got a macbook pro and tried plugging in the ethernet cable from my cable modem and for some reason I still can't get online. When plugging the same cable into my PC it automatically registers and works fine. I've also connected ethernet cables from other places (not my house) and it also works fine.

It's not that it's totally not being recognized but it tells me that I might not be able to go online when I go into network setting...there's a yellow dot next to the built in ethernet settings as opposed to a green one.

When I go through the network diagnostics it says I might need a DHCP client id from my isp but I've heard that I shouldn't need this since I use a cable modem and it works fine in my PC.

I was also told that ity might be the actaul ethernet cable but I haven't had the chance to get a new one to say if that's the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice anyone could give.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.