• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Which Final Cut?

Reaction score
Looking to buy a version of Final Cut, got limited funds otherwise id go straight for buying the most up-to-date full version. But for price sake im looking at getting Final Cut Express HD 3.5, now im just wondering how detailed the features are on this version? For example i know that this version has soundtrack 1.5 and the motion title software, but how about things such as using green screen technology and layering in that way? Can i edit to this detail on this version, baring in mind that i dont require masses of small tweaking features.

Anyway if somebody could advise me into whether this version would be ok for doing decent more detailed editing than the standard imovie (which i dont care for at all) type programme. Any info would be v useful.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
I think that express will do it. I just upgraded to final cut pro 5.1 last week. The only reason why is because I needed to burn widescreen and idvd couldn't do it because of my DV deck and other stuff so I needed dvd studio. Anyways express doesn't lack much if you aren't doing pro video. The title program is actually called LiveType. Express can do blue and green screens but I'm not to sure on how good it looks, and it does layers as well.I would say though that you should check out ebay for final cut pro 5.1 because I got mine for $315+shipping, came with everything. Only downside is that it can't be upgraded to pro 6. But what are you planning to edit? DV,HDV? What kind of mac are you using?

OP
O
Reaction score
i have checked out ebay and there are decent deals going on both versions. IM currently filming on DV but do hope to upgrade to hdv before too long..am looking to edit short films etc which have been shoot on a fairly tight budget, therefore never really requiring amasing technical tools, but i do want the facilities to make more detailed changes to clips (such as color and visuals). Am running a macbook with 2ghz and 1gb ram on a 120gb hd, will prob be too limited to run the full programme i expect? I think it looks like ill be opting for express? This is fine by me i just wanted to make sure i was buying something with decent semi pro features rather than paying money for something that is nothing but crazy transitions and crappy clip effects.

thanks for your advice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.