Are refurbished products from the apple store a good idea?

Reaction score
hi i am getting a mac for my birthday, i am 14 and will be using it for school and school related tasks and loading music onto and films etc. I would just like to know what mac you guys would reccomend for me and wether buying refurbished products is a good idea or not? Thanks for all your advice.
P.S- I will be buying a notebook not a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Same thing as new. How I got mine. And if it breaks down at any point, it has nothing to do with it being refurbished and the fix it like its new (depending on the warranty of course.) Mine hasn't broken down by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've had a refurb. Macbook and sold it 3 months later. Not that it was bad, only because I decided on a refurb iMac. I've had that for 3 months with no problem. I've had 2 refurb. iPods as well. Refurb is the smart way to go.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
it's a very good idea. All of the apple products I've owned are refurbished and no one, including myself, can tell the difference vs. new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I've never heard anything bad from any members here who have bought refurbed Macs. They're basically brand new, they function new, and they look new.

Reaction score
Love my refurb macbook, only difference I noticed from a new macbook was the plain brown box it came in.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No problems with my MacBook Pro - I couldn't tell it from new aside from the plain cardboard box it came in. They even gave me 1GB of RAM when it was advertised as having 512MB. I paid $1270 out the door with tax, I've yet to see another deal like that with equivalent specs. Even the older G4 15" Powerbooks go for more on Apple's refurb site.

I've said this in a few other threads, but I think it's worth repeating - the term "refurbished" implies that the machine has been made "like new". If there are any problems, you can always return or send it back for a refund.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
thanks guys and any advice on which portable mac to get?

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
and also on the apple mac webiste (UK as that is where i live) it says that there may be cosmetic imperfections to the macs have any of you experienced this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and also on the apple mac webiste (UK as that is where i live) it says that there may be cosmetic imperfections to the macs have any of you experienced this?

No, but the return policy still applies - so if something is not to your liking, you can always return it and get another.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
ok thanks guys and im undecided between the black macbook or the just below it, also does anyone know any uk stores to get external hard drives for macs?

M

Matteh117

Cancom have lots of externals (lots of expensive ones too :O). They also sell refurbs there, but they might not be as good as the ones on the Apple website..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks guys and im undecided between the black macbook or the just below it, also does anyone know any uk stores to get external hard drives for macs?

You can use just about any external drive you want to. You don't need to purchase something "Mac-specific".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD
I think a lot of mac users like LaCie for external storage. I'm getting a western digital passport to lug around and still looking for a good NAS for the house.

M

Matteh117

AFAIK only some externals work with Macs.. some are have different formats or something.

I really like the WD Passport, too. How much are you paying for yours, buttuh? £130 for the 250gb on Cancom.. Oh so tempted.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AFAIK only some externals work with Macs.. some are have different formats or something.

I really like the WD Passport, too. How much are you paying for yours, buttuh? £130 for the 250gb on Cancom.. Oh so tempted.

Most USB/Firewire external drives will work. The format may need to be changed, but that's true of any drive unless it comes from the factory pre-formatted.

My point is that you don't need to spend a lot of money on a drive that says "Mac friendly" because they basically all work, providing the drive is formatted with a file system that the Mac can read and write to. By default, many drives are formatted NTFS, which the Mac can read, but not write. Changing this is simply a matter of formatting the drive from Disk Utility.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
hmm yeah i was thinking of getting the one just down from the mac black. 80gb hard drive 1gb RAM etc and just getting a decent externall like mybook 500gb or something like that. My dad said i could have £700 ($1400) dosent go as far in the uk though :( Good idea or not? First mac ive bought so i wanna get it right. Also my dad said i could get it when i want and he'd give me the money when its my birthday but i think i should wait till october, then i can get one with leapoard. All coments appreciated..........

Reaction score
hmm yeah i was thinking of getting the one just down from the mac black. 80gb hard drive 1gb RAM etc and just getting a decent externall like mybook 500gb or something like that. My dad said i could have £700 ($1400) dosent go as far in the uk though :( Good idea or not? First mac ive bought so i wanna get it right. Also my dad said i could get it when i want and he'd give me the money when its my birthday but i think i should wait till october, then i can get one with leapoard. All coments appreciated..........

You DO understand that Leopard costs only 129 dollars, right? Why would you wait 4 months to save that kind of chump change? Mow someone's lawn, boom, there's leopard.

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
yeah but why waste £65 ($129) when i can just wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.