mac with 10.4 or 10.5?

Reaction score
I have a mac mini with the 1.25 ghz g4 processor, should I purchase Os 10.4 or wait to Leopard comes out. Do you thing Leopard will be too processor intensive and suck up all of my 512mb of ram. Thanks for the help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a mac mini with the 1.25 ghz g4 processor, should I purchase Os 10.4 or wait to Leopard comes out. Do you thing Leopard will be too processor intensive and suck up all of my 512mb of ram. Thanks for the help.

Leopard should be OK on your Mac Mini. From what I understand, the system requirements typically go back several generations. The main weak point may be memory, but I'd imagine 1GB should be fine for most tasks, although you can never have too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have a mac mini with the 1.25 ghz g4 processor, should I purchase Os 10.4
If I'm not mistaken, all of the Minis came with Tiger installed. Unless you purchased the Mini with no OS installed, there shouldn't be any reason to buy Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
The original mini shipped with Panther. Tiger came out a few months later (and I gladly upgraded -- I can't imagine living without spotlight nor Safari 2). Can't say if Leopard will run well nor not, but I actually noticed a bit of a speed improvement when I upgraded my mini (1.42ghz G4) from 10.3 to 10.4.

OP
G
Reaction score
I purchased my mac mini pre-tiger. I am afraid that if I wait for leopard my computer won't beable to handle most of leopard features. Espeacially since it only has 512 mb of ram Will the current price of os x be the same as it is now or do you think the price will jump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Leopard seems to be far more graphically intensive than Tiger, so it will definitely use more system resources to run. With regard to RAM, we all know Tiger runs best with 1GB. I can't imagine using Leopard on anything less than that, with 2GB being the sweet spot.

Unless there's something absolutely compelling about Leopard, I would suggest getting Tiger to keep your machine actually usable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I purchased my mac mini pre-tiger. I am afraid that if I wait for leopard my computer won't beable to handle most of leopard features. Espeacially since it only has 512 mb of ram Will the current price of os x be the same as it is now or do you think the price will jump.

Steve Jobs announced Leopard to be $129 at the WWDC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.