Sleep / PMU problems ?

M

mgreene7821

i have an original ibook (300 mhz clamshell) and rescently it began to shutdown for no reason, it would boot up until the point when the drive icons pop up. then it goes right into sleep mode, it will wake up by hitting a key but then goes right back to sleep. the battery holds a charge and the charge indicator light is green. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
M greene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If that happens with AC power on, I suggest trying whatever disc utility works with that model

OP
M

mgreene7821

it does happen with the battery removed and the AC adaptor plugged in. it'll boot the os 9.2 cd fine but if i try to run something off the CD like first aid or the os install it just drops to sleep, it will wake up for a second or two, but the right back to sleep :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
it must be tired...

i'm new to macs but how about resetting the pmos (i think that's what you do anyway, is that what it's called?)

There's an article on maccritic.com saying how to do it...

Hope this is of any help at all, i'm still waiting for my new ibook so i can't give any proper advice i'm afraid!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think you mean the PRAM usually near the RAM cards a tiny button - careful to touch the metal chassis first (static)

OP
M

mgreene7821

witeshark said:
I think you mean the PRAM usually near the RAM cards a tiny button - careful to touch the metal chassis first (static)

there's a pram reset button on the original ibook ?? if so do you know exactally where it is ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I believe it's almost always placed right near the RAM slots, but a friend says that apple key + p and r on boot resets it too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
try holding down shift+ctrl+option and press the power on button. the iBook shuts off quickly, then reboots with reset PRAM i.e. date and time will be reset.

:D

If not, try this

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer's startup sound.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

OP
M

mgreene7821

thanks for all your help, but i think the logic board finally bit the dust... i finally took it apart and found what seem to be some old "gel'd up" juice on the logic board, so it looks like it'll be a replacement from ebay... thanks..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.