Parental control software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi - my 10 year old daughter has been experiencing cyber bullying and I want to install parental control software on her Macbook.

Any recommendations?

I'm really beside myself right now!

Thanks for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi - my 10 year old daughter has been experiencing cyber bullying and I want to install parental control software on her Macbook.

Any recommendations?

I'm really beside myself right now!

Thanks for your help.

Parental Controls are built right in. You can enable them through the Accounts applet in System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you checked the options under 'System preferences> accounts> parental controls'? They have a fair number of settings you can lock down and OS X Leopard (due in September) is going to add even more.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm looking for the kind of thing that tracks everything my kid is doing. A parental NSA sort of software, if you will.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh, and I meant to say - she has her OWN macbook (which I just confiscated for a month). That's part of the problem. I want to get this parental CIA software before I give it back to her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can use a key logger, that records EVERY keystroke made.... Though I don't quite understand how that would protect your daughter. I really feel for you though. I have two daughters (much younger than yours... with VERY limited web access, as in only 2 websites), and can hardly imagine the heartache if they were to be bullied, especially within their own home.

EDIT:
Oh, and I meant to say - she has her OWN macbook (which I just confiscated for a month). That's part of the problem. I want to get this parental CIA software before I give it back to her.
If she is being bullied, and is the victim... why on earth are you punishing her for being picked on????? Maybe I'm not understanding? Is she doing the bullying???

OP
S
Reaction score
It's unfortunately been a two way street. She said "I was just defending myself" when I confronted her last night, but I told her there's a big difference between standing up for yourself and sinking to someone else's level.

Fortunately the school took a really serious view when I told them about it this morning - spoke to all the kids involved, including my daughter, and is calling all the parents.

BTW, I spoke to the detective in charge of cyber crime at my local police dept and he recommended spector soft.com for monitoring software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.