• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Poor picture quality in finished file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
I have edited some video I shot on my MiniDV camera. While editing in iMovie the picture quality is great. However, when I export it to a file format (I've tried .mov mpeg4 and full quality DV) there are artifacts everywhere. However, when I use iDVD to make a DVD of the same video, it looks superb, even when full-screen.

Given that the filesize on DVD (375Mb) is far, far smaller than the Full Quality DV (1.3Gb), why is the picture so much better on the DVD? The only difference I can see between all the file formats is that the screen size gets bigger in Quicktime as the filesize increases. It makes no sense to me - the DVD picture quality is superb but every format that plays on a computer is terrible.

Thanks for your help :)

Jack.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
I've tried all of the available formats in iMovie and they all look naff. The biggest thing I notice is that the text titles look very strange due to the compression artifacts, even when I save as full quality DV.

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.