Unexpected Quitting and Freezing

Reaction score
Hi all;

I am having a somewhat bizzare problem with my MacBook (it's a 2ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB HDD running OS 10.4.9). Recently (the past couple of days), my programmes have been unexpectedly quitting or freezing on me.

It is mainly happening to MS Messenger, Work and Firefox. Messenger goes down every time I try to close a conversation window, started originally freezing needing a force quit, but now it is just quitting on me, word is freezing then quitting everytime I try to save a document, I found that out the hard way and lost three hours work, and FF just keeps falling over, not at ay particular time or on any particular actions from me, randomly while loading a page or even just when I am scrolling down.

I recently uninstalled ClamXav, and recently installed the Safari Beta. Other than that, I don't think I have done anything.

Any thoughts? It's just like being back on windows!

Thanks in advance.

Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all;

I am having a somewhat bizzare problem with my MacBook (it's a 2ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB HDD running OS 10.4.9). Recently (the past couple of days), my programmes have been unexpectedly quitting or freezing on me.

It is mainly happening to MS Messenger, Work and Firefox. Messenger goes down every time I try to close a conversation window, started originally freezing needing a force quit, but now it is just quitting on me, word is freezing then quitting everytime I try to save a document, I found that out the hard way and lost three hours work, and FF just keeps falling over, not at ay particular time or on any particular actions from me, randomly while loading a page or even just when I am scrolling down.

I recently uninstalled ClamXav, and recently installed the Safari Beta. Other than that, I don't think I have done anything.

Any thoughts? It's just like being back on windows!

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Remove ClamXAV first and see if there is any difference. Since there are no known viruses for the Mac, Mac anti-virus products use heuristics which monitor and intervene in certain functions of the OS. It is more likely this would cause a problem than another program that doesn't run constantly.

Aside from that, try running the cleaning and maintenance tools in Onyx. Also, run the Apple Hardware Test from your OS X CD to verify that there are no hardware problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Safari 3 beta causes MSN crashes.

OP
O
Reaction score
Remove ClamXAV first and see if there is any difference. Since there are no known viruses for the Mac, Mac anti-virus products use heuristics which monitor and intervene in certain functions of the OS. It is more likely this would cause a problem than another program that doesn't run constantly."

ClamXAV was un-installed pre these problems, I wonder if in the uninstall it took something out that sent everything wobbly.

I will run the other suggested options and see where that gets me.

Thanks

Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Hurrah!

Bad form replying to one's own post, but... it may just have worked. My save/quit problem appears to have stopped, and messenger is not quitting when I close a convo. window.

Thanks to cwa107 for suggesting the OynX stuff, it appears to have worked. Will still run the hardware check for damage when I get home to make sure all is tickety-boo there.

Cheers!

Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
So after all was well for about 24 hours, Word has started to play up again. Tried to save an untitled document for the first time, and it fell over. Rather than crashing like is did initially yesterday, it just froze, bouncing beach ball constantly, Word not responding in force quit window, and the message 'word is connecting to the printer' at the bottom of the page. It was doing this some of the time yesterday before it was resolved using Oynx. Oh and I am not connected to a printer at the moment, which is possibly why it is struggling to find one, but I am asking it to save not to print!

Keeps doing it after a restart, ran OynX again on cleaning/maintenance and it works again after the restart, but I suspect this is a temporary fix again.

Cheers

Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So after all was well for about 24 hours, Word has started to play up again. Tried to save an untitled document for the first time, and it fell over. Rather than crashing like is did initially yesterday, it just froze, bouncing beach ball constantly, Word not responding in force quit window, and the message 'word is connecting to the printer' at the bottom of the page. It was doing this some of the time yesterday before it was resolved using Oynx. Oh and I am not connected to a printer at the moment, which is possibly why it is struggling to find one, but I am asking it to save not to print!

Keeps doing it after a restart, ran OynX again on cleaning/maintenance and it works again after the restart, but I suspect this is a temporary fix again.

Cheers

Nick

Connect a printer to it and see if the problem persists. Word is reliant on the printer driver to correctly format the document - even when you go to save it. If it's waiting to see if a printer that was once connected still is, it may just be failing over because the printer is unexpectedly disconnected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.