Twin External Hard Drives Not Recognised

JMR

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 identical Welland 3.5 External hard Disk Enclosures.
Both have 250 GB Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA drives installed. with both Firewire 400 and USB 2 ports

I am using a Macintosh Power PC G4 (Mirror door Drive 2003) 1.25 GHZ single processor. running OSX 10.4.9

If I connect ONE of the drives with Firewire everything is O.K. Drive is recognised and can be used/formated

When I connect the second drive after the first drive has been recognised I get this notice:

"Device Removal" - The device you removed was not properly put away...

and the first drive disappears - i.e NO drives are visible.

If I boot with both Firewire drives connected - None appear.

The drive is also NOT recognised through a USB 2 port (on a seperate PCI Card)

If I plug the second drive into one of the USB 1 Ports on the mac motherboard it IS recognised!

Can you tell me why I cannot use both Firewire devices together. - Do they have the same i.d. and if so can I do anything about it to get it recognised?

Both drives work fine with Firewire if I use them seperately.

When I look in Disk Utilities at each drive (when connected seperately) they both have the same Connection ID. Is this the problem - and can I change the ID of one of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.