Password protecting folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi Guys,
Is it at all possible to somehow lock, or protect areas of your mac, (folders) so that even though you are logged in, if someone else sit's at your mac, there are certain places they can't go. I looked at changing to permissions on a folder, so I had no access, but of course that didn't work! Any ideas?
Sim
(ps, it's a lovely day here in Paris, beautiful weather, beautiful girls *sigh*)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image.

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it, you/they will need the password.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers Ride, that's fantastic. For a moment there I thought they weren't live disks, but then i noticed you can set them to read & write too. Brilliant. My girlfriend is a little concerned about some pics we took. Now they're secure! ;-)

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I've noticed that you can't add much more to the disk image, as it has a finite size. Is there any way to increase the size of the disk image, so I can add more file as I go? I really want a functioning folder that only I can access...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Create a larger sparse disk image the same way you made the original. It will allow custom sizes.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, figured it all out, thanks guys...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.