CPU upgrade questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3 B&W, 512Mb, 30Gb HDD, speed bumped to 450Mhz(by means of jumper pack), ATI Rage 128
Hello all it's my first time posting here and i must say i love the site. I've been Reading around and can't seem to find my answer. I recently purchased a PowerMac G3 Blue & White from eBay for $31.00 (i stole it from ebay lol) here are the specs.

# 400MHz PowerPC G3 CPU
# 416MB RAM
# 40GB HDD (IBM Deskstar)
# DVD/CD-RW GCC-44808 drive
# IOMEGA ZIP 100MB drive
# ATI Radeon 7000 (RV100) 64MB VRAM with D-SUB, DVI and S-VIDEO ports
# Realtek 802.11B Wireless card
# 1 x FireWire port
# 2 x USB ports
# 1 x Ethernet port
# OS X 10.4.9

The problem im having is the Processor, i want to do and upgrade to a 1.0Ghz PowerLogix card, i know the card will work in my system but i've notced OS X doesnt support CPU upgrades will this pose a problem? Im new to Mac i am a PC Tech not a Mac genius any help is appreciated. Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you post a url to the Powerlogix upgrade you are think of buying? It should work just fine in Tiger 10.4.9. Apple does not support upgrades, but the Manufacture of the card does.

I like the fact your B&W has that better ATI PCI Graphics card in it. The Stock card is weak.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3 B&W, 512Mb, 30Gb HDD, speed bumped to 450Mhz(by means of jumper pack), ATI Rage 128
yea i saw the stock Rage 128 and i laughed then i saw this system and saw all the upgrades and i was oh its mine lol... heres the link

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PowerLogix/PFZGX10001M/

I just wasnt sure what they meant by not supported so i was iffy, thanks for the help i have many more Mac questions :)

i remember the first pc i ever bought was an old hp with the Rage it was soo good back in the day lol.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yea i saw the stock Rage 128 and i laughed then i saw this system and saw all the upgrades and i was oh its mine lol... heres the link

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PowerLogix/PFZGX10001M/

I just wasnt sure what they meant by not supported so i was iffy, thanks for the help i have many more Mac questions :)

i remember the first pc i ever bought was an old hp with the Rage it was soo good back in the day lol.

That will work just fine in your B&W. I wonder if your B&W has a Revision 2 board? If you are not sure I can tell you how to find out. There is a CMD chip back behind the PCI Slots at the back of the board. It should have the number 402. Most also have the Dual Hard Drive bracket but the main thing is the CMD chip with 402 on it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
idk i cant break it open tonight i gotta rest up but ill check and let you know. I think it does have the dual hdd bracket though but ill check the chip later. thanks for all your help i now dont mind putting the money into this $31.00 system :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.