Help With RDP??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16ghz, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hdd|iBook- 800mhz, 512Ram, 30gb HDD
Hey Guys

Was just wondering if someone can help me out with getting RDP working. I am running vista on my PC and I want to be able to RDP into my mac from work. I know you can do it the other way round (RDP to Vista from Mac) but can't find much info about hitting OS X from Vista

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
The RDP server component is only available on Windows (I don't know about Vista, but on XP it was only part of XP Pro).

If you want to connect remotely from a Windows machine into a Macintosh, you can download the free VNC viewer (google RealVNC -- although there are probably plenty of others out there). Mac OSX ships with a VNC server.

To enable the VNC server, go into the sharing panel of system preferences, click on Apple Remote Desktop (on the services tab), then click Access Privileges. Then select "VNC users...." and enter a password (VNC does not use a user/password combo, just a password). From the vnc client, connect to your remote machine's IP address and enter the password.

You might need to open up the vnc port on your home's router (the default port I believe is 5900).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.