Thinking about switching to Mac, but unsure

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about switching from my Windows laptop to a Macbook Pro. I know the Macbook Pro sounds good, but I guess the question is, 'Can I believe the hype?' I mean, there is a big difference in price between PC laptops and Macbook Pro's. While the Macbook Pro comes with an abundant amount of software, I guess I wonder if it it worth it. I don't do that much in regards to video editing or podcasts. I do some photo editing here and there. I primarily use the computer for Internet and writing articles for MMAWeekly.com. I also use it for e-mail, AIM and an alarm clock. I just want to be able to justify the price difference between the two. Any encouraging examples or reasoning? Thanks everyone.

Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Hi bowlman23
I too did the switch. I have a MBP and I love it and don't hate Windows. I use Windows daily at work and on the other laptop at home.
From what your usage description is, you will love it too. The quality and design are beautiful. It fast and does not have the virus etc problems as you get with Windows PC's. My two main gripes are the keyboard lack of backspace etc keys, and Office for Mac is different from what I am used and I can see no reason for the differences. Why can't they have programs that you can run under either operating system that actually look and feel the same?
As for the price difference when you add up what you get the difference is not as great as some would have you believe. I paid $3000 for my 17"MBP core duo 1 gig ram (now 2) 120 gig hdd as a run out model, and $2500 for my Asus 15.4" 1.7 mghz pre core anything 1 gig ram 80 gig hdd.
Shop around and don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

OP
B
Reaction score
I just want to make sure that the extra money I'm putting up is worth it compared to a PC laptop that is probably a couple hundred cheaper

Reaction score
you're not going to be doing anything that a PC laptop couldn't do just as well...the only difference is whether the Mac hardware and OS X is worth it for you. Play around with some Mac laptops if you can...

also, I would say that unless you want the bigger screen, a MacBook would suit you fine. What you describe doesn't really require a 'Pro' machine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm thinking about switching...
Nothing you described demands a pro machine or likely even a change. As for photo editing, I'm sure you can find decent software for Windows. What is wrong with your current system that you are looking for a change?

If you compare price honestly, in detail, you'll be hard pressed to find big differences. Apples are competitive, especially against the PC sales leaders. You can find many comparisons via the net.

As for the 'hype'. OS X is very stable and since it isn't constantly attacked like Windows it doesn't have the problems of all the malware issues. That alone is would be worth it for me. I just happen to think the Mac is an overall nicer system too. Not perfect though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
OSX is a very mature OS in many ways. Several features are available over XP or Vista. First, OSX has a system wide spell check, which I feel any OS should have built in. Second, OSX by default is more stable and no other software is necessary, for example anti-virus apps running in the background taking away from system performance. The system is much easier to use especially in the drag and drop features over XP or Vista, for example Spring loaded folders).
As you get used to OSX, you will find that you need less steps (mouse clicks, etc) to do the same thing in XP.
Most important to me is no system messages, or other annoying distracting pop-ups warning, or prompts. OSX gets out of the way so you can do what you need to.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's such a tough decision for me. I've been a Windows user my whole life, and it's so hard to decide whether to make the switch to Mac. I'm tired of all of the stupid problems with Windows, but all the software is made mostly for Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
It's such a tough decision for me. I've been a Windows user my whole life, and it's so hard to decide whether to make the switch to Mac. I'm tired of all of the stupid problems with Windows, but all the software is made mostly for Windows.

I was in the same position 3 months ago. And thats exactly why I switched. All the problems I used to get with windows. I still use windows for work but when I am on my MacBook I am in HEAVEN ;P .

Most the software for windows has an alternative for Mac. Even Office has an alternative like NeoOffice and OpenOffice which are both free to download. From what you mentioned originally I think a Maxed Out MacBook will suffice with all your needs and then some.

Since I switched I've been loving my Mac Experience every step of the way even more. And there is no looking back.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Macs are not free of problems, however, in my experience the problems occur far less frequently than with Windows. If most of your software only runs on Windows (and you can't find a similar Mac version), price is a big concern and you don't necessarily want to expend a lot of energy on learning a new Operating System, then I think you should stick to Windows.

If, like many others, you are just sick and tired of Windows and truly ready to try something different, it might be a good option. I also agree with the other posters who don't believe your needs warrant a "Pro" version. With that in mind, a standard MacBook should price around the same as an equivalent-spec Windows machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't run an unbelievable amount of software that is Windows only. I mainly run MS Office, Outlook, Internet Explorer, Photoshop and AIM. I don't mind learning a new OS. I'm pretty computer saavy. I just want to make sure that I will be happy with my purchase.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't run an unbelievable amount of software that is Windows only. I mainly run MS Office, Outlook, Internet Explorer, Photoshop and AIM. I don't mind learning a new OS. I'm pretty computer saavy. I just want to make sure that I will be happy with my purchase.

Whether you will be happy is pretty subjective. I don't think anyone can answer that question definitively, aside from the fact that many people (including myself) are very happy with their Macs.

There is a version of MS Office for Mac, although there are some pretty compelling alternatives like NeoOffice that work just as well - and in some cases better than the real thing.

There is no version of Outlook for the Mac, Office 2004 includes a program called "Entourage" which is similar, but doesn't have all of the same functionality. Apple's Mail (included with your Mac) is a very good email application. iCal and Address Book integrate with it to duplicate much of the functionality of Outlook. Of course Photoshop was born on the Mac and now runs natively on Intel in its most recent incarnation. You can use iChat to replace AIM or programs like Adium that can emulate multiple Chat clients.

My recommendation would be to visit an Apple Store and take a hands-on test drive of a MacBook.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't really use Outlook for anything fancy like Tasks and things of that nature. I just use it to manage multiple e-mail accounts.

I wonder if I can figure a way to play with a Mac or something.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really use Outlook for anything fancy like Tasks and things of that nature. I just use it to manage multiple e-mail accounts.

I wonder if I can figure a way to play with a Mac or something.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, they have demo units that you can use to your heart's content. Where do you live?

OP
B
Reaction score
In Croydon, PA. I think the closest one is in King of Prussia, which is like 45 minutes away. I just mainly want a solid, stable computer that I won't have to upgrade in a year and a half. I guess that's why I was thinking of going w/ the MBP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Croydon, PA. I think the closest one is in King of Prussia, which is like 45 minutes away. I just mainly want a solid, stable computer that I won't have to upgrade in a year and a half. I guess that's why I was thinking of going w/ the MBP.

I haven't been to the King of Prussia store, but I hear it's pretty huge. I live outside of Harrisburg - I'm not sure where Croydon is, but be aware that there is also a store called MacHeads in Lancaster (not sure if that's any closer for you) and I know they have demo units there - although the store is very small.

Macs tend to last a long time - and they retain their resale value far better than normal PCs. I think you'll be pleased in that respect.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Croydon is right outside Philly. How long has everyone been a Mac user?

Since December of '06, so not terribly long. I last used Macs in college (mid-90s) and found them unsatisfactory. Since the advent of Intel processors and OS X, they have become an excellent alternative to Windows machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
bowlman23, I've seen the Apple retail people take their time helping potential new customers. So get a description of your use and concerns and walk into an Apple store or third party dealer and voice them. Preferable do this when the store isn't so busy so you can grab a sales person easier. I prefer before noon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
I recently added a MacBook Pro to my stable of Windows systems, and I wasn't sure about doing it as I didn't have huge complaints about Windows ... I just needed a Mac for my work. However, here I am only a few months into my Apple ownership, and I've found myself finding ways to migrate more and more of my daily tasks onto the MBP, because the hardware and OS is just such a pleasure to use. I'd estimate that my MBP is the computer I am using about 90% of the time now, with my Windows laptop and Windows desktop splitting the remaining 10% of my computer time.

The other comment I will make is that some of those computer tasks (video, audio, etc.) that you never did much of on Windows you may find yourself suddenly interested in exploring on a Mac, because the software that comes with the OS is of such good quality, and is just plain fun to use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How long has everyone been a Mac user?

Since sometime in 1992 when a friend gave me a Mac Plus. I loved it but needed more as by then the Plus was so old, but I did a lot of my work on it. Then finally I was able to afford a G3, then G4 and now I do 95+% of everything on OSX and Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.