Upgrading from OSX 10.1.5

2kxtreme

I am running OSX 10.1.15 on an old teal G3. I want to upgrade my OS to a newer version, OSX 10.2 or 10.3... When I install the new OS, will I lose all my information on the HD? Is it important to back up my data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can do an upgrade but that is highly unrecommended. I suggest you do a backup of what you would like to save and do a clean install of the newer OS. Upgrading causes more problems than anything and a clean install is sure to have your performance at the maximum for the OS

OP

2kxtreme

Okay, so now I am gonna start up a network with another mac. I have the IP Address. How do I set it up? Sorry for all the questions

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am assuming that you have all the information you need to place this system on the network, since you have an ip address. Just in case, you need the netmask, and the router's ip address.

Go to system preferences -> network, from there enter all of the requested information.

OP

2kxtreme

Okay, well, I got it to actually share. But It says that I have insufficient privilages, i can't acces the networked folder... what now?!?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.