To switch now....or later?

Reaction score
PC user here, who wants to become a Mac user. My dilemma.....the rumor of the new iMac. I've settled on the fact that I want the 17" iMac (I don't want to jump head over heals right away on anything bigger....I can save that for my next mac :) ), but the rumor of the new iMac is eating away at me. I've read that the rumored new iMac supposedly will only replace the 20" and 23" versions, and will not affect the 17" versions. Anyone think there is any truth to that? Should I buy a mac now, or wait it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I'm waiting myself. HOping one is announced when the new OS comes out in october.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There are new rumours everyday. The only semi certainty is that Leopard will be out in October. Any decision you make has to be your own - you won't gleam any real information from the web or forums.

It's a gamble.

Reaction score
I doubt they will release an "all-new" iMac redesign, maybe a black one, or the rumored metal finish.

Seriously though, if you need a computer for the summer, buy it now. If you can wait, wait.

I don't know about you, but I tend to buy computers because I need them for some reason, so there's no waiting schwaiting business for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
They may or may not introduce a redesigned iMac. If you are looking at buying a 17" this is the least likely to be included in any such redesign anyway. Regardless of the rumors floating around, the iMac is do for an update. IF you don't need it now wait until it is updated or Leopard is released. I certainly would not wait any longer though.

I understand the crowd that says don't wait and buy now. It seems to me however that some sort of change is imminent for the iMac sooner rather than later. On the other hand the current iMac line is well established and at least mine doesn't have any bugs.

If I were in the market for one now I would hold out a little longer. OK I lied if I were stuck on a Wintel box I don't think I could wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It might look different, but how can they improve on Core2 processors, SATA hard drives and big flat screens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D
It might look different, but how can they improve on Core2 processors, SATA hard drives and big flat screens?

The most likely thing I can think of is that they could offer a speed bump at maybe a lower price. Of course waiting for Leopard alone saves $129 which isn't much to some people but is to others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
What they can improve on is using up to date parts, like they do in their MBP or like any other company does with no problems

Core2duo processor can mean anything from the range.. like saying AMD64 processor, you get a 3200+ as an example then as another example you get the X2 6000+

Apple needs to put the Santa Rosa chipset into the iMac - no doubt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
To paraphrase Shakespeare, "To wait or not to wait, that is the question!"

I'm holding off buying iWork because of rumored new release. But I cannot wait much longer. I couldn't wait any longer to buy a MacBook and 3 weeks later they come out with an upgrade. Then comes the new 15" MBP. Can't win. The only certainty is we KNOW that Leopard will be out in Oct. If you can't wait you will have to buy. If you can, there "might" be a new iMac by then. In the mean time if you don't need it now, and waiting means saving more purchase funds, I would suggest you serious consider the 20" iMac. The 20" iMac and the low-end 15" MBP give the best bang for the buck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.