128 mb ram or 256mb??

I

IWANTAMAC!

Hey i was planning on buying an emac from pc world for £499 but realized its only a 1ghz and 128mb combo drive model, should i pay the extra £49 for the 1.25ghz and 256mb ram?

Thanks in advance!
!!ETHAN!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
IWANTAMAC! said:
Hey i was planning on buying an emac from pc world for £499 but realized its only a 1ghz and 128mb combo drive model, should i pay the extra £49 for the 1.25ghz and 256mb ram?

Thanks in advance!
!!ETHAN!!

I would. You'll definitely want the additional RAM, so for the money, you might as well have the faster processor too.

OP
D

DangerMan

IWANTAMAC! said:

Thanks in advance!
!!ETHAN!!

I buy the same emac that you're thinking of getting and the 128mb ram just wasn't enough. Applications like Dreamweaver and Photoshop just ran too slow. In the end I ended up paying for 512mb extra ram. [Read my thread so see the problems I had].

From my limited experience I would say that 128mb isn't enough - you need at least 256mb but 512mb is better. You can go up to 1024mb on the 1ghz model.

OP
B

Badger

Buy the new eMac. 1) you'll need more ram, 128 is barely adequate for the system, 2) you'll get the latest model, so you'll get a longer usable life from it, and 3) you'll get the new computer warranty.
I'm not sure what the conversion rate is but it seems like the difference in cost is less than the cost of an additional RAM chip for the 1ghz model.
Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.