ebay and Powerbook....

OP
W

wickedbusa

Joeytpg said:
what happened to you??

A third party hacked into an eBay account and posted a 17 inch Apple Powerbook. Naturally, since the price was so low, I had to bid. It was a private auction, so I had to contact the seller for approval. Well, the seller tells me that he'd rather sell to me privately since there were no bids, and because the auction had ended already. Bottom line, I sent him the money and never saw the laptop. Even worse is the guy is in France. I've been in contact with several people in Australia and the UK who have been scammed. The REAL owner of the account never knew about the fraudulent items posted in his eBay store.

The account had over 2000+ positive feedbacks, I just never knew that it was NOT the REAL owner of the account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yeah, I don't use eBay on anything more than a couple hundred bucks.

TFT = "Thin Film Transistor", formerly known as "Active Matrix". This is the highestly quality type of LCD display there is (vs passive displays)

CRT = "Cathode Ray Tube", a standard bulky desktop monitor.

OP
S

Sirjammer69

wickedbusa said:
A third party hacked into an eBay account and posted a 17 inch Apple Powerbook. Naturally, since the price was so low, I had to bid. It was a private auction, so I had to contact the seller for approval. Well, the seller tells me that he'd rather sell to me privately since there were no bids, and because the auction had ended already. Bottom line, I sent him the money and never saw the laptop. Even worse is the guy is in France. I've been in contact with several people in Australia and the UK who have been scammed. The REAL owner of the account never knew about the fraudulent items posted in his eBay store.

The account had over 2000+ positive feedbacks, I just never knew that it was NOT the REAL owner of the account.

Yeah that's another good point and why i do not under any circumstances deal off of ebay, no buyer/seller protection, good point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I never buy anything off eBay. And I never make large payments unless its thru Paypal. NEVER do Western Union, no matter how good the feedback is, its like giving ur money away for free.

OP
J

Joeytpg

What's the difference between using paypal and western union when shopping on eBay??......is there a way to avoid scam with paypal??

i was thinking about buying a 1.25 15" alum. PB from someone with GOOD/excelent feedback...........

OP
W

wickedbusa

Joeytpg said:
What's the difference between using paypal and western union when shopping on eBay??......is there a way to avoid scam with paypal??

i was thinking about buying a 1.25 15" alum. PB from someone with GOOD/excelent feedback...........

You can be protected under Paypal, but should the sh!t hit the fan, it will be a lenghty process before any serious action is taken. IMO, spend a little bit more money and buy from an authorized dealer. Anything can happen when you deal with private parties. When it comes time to purchase my Powerbook, you can bet that I will be walking into an Apple store to purchase it.

OP
J

Joeytpg

yeah but i can't buy a 1.25 15" pb from apple....they only sell new models...........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Joeytpg: paypal is just an added security measure, the seller has all his/her details on Paypal's records. So chances of fraud are low. But when buying, don't just look at feedback score, look at the items the feedback is given for. If the seller sells £2 or £5 items and builds up a good feedback and you buy from him/her, there's a high chance that could be a con, but if you tend to find a seller that sells expensive items regularly, that should be okay. Its just intuition at the end of the day I believe :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To the guy who wanted to buy the last revision pb on ebay cause he though he can't buy them from apple:

Hi,
have you checked the sale section on the apple website? You should be able to pick up a refurb/new last revision powerbook there quite cheaply...

Plus it comes with warranty etc and has been checked by apple!

If you're outside the u.s. (europe) the online special offer stores are open wednesday from 11.00 and be quick!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.