keychain not found

Reaction score
when i open 'mail' i keep getting the message that 'keychain login not found'. I've gone to 'keychain access'. "login' is shown but the icon appears as an empty box-no lock icon at all. Don't know how i lost it but has anyone know how i get it back?
Keep getting that message with Safari as well.
many thanks. Tamati

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, tamati.

First, run Apple's DiskUtility and repair disk permissions as this might be a messed up permissions problem.

Then, click on the Keychain Access. app: can you launch Keychain First Aid by typing Command + Option + A (or under Keychain Access in the menubar, select Keychain First Aid)?

In another forum I came across this How To:

1. Launch Keychain Access.
2. In your menu bar, select Window/Keychain First Aid.
3. In the window that opens, click "Options...."
4. In the window that opens, select "Expert."
5. You will be presented with two options, and, based on what you've told me, the second one, "Change login keychain settings," which will leave your keychain always unlocked, is precisely what you're looking for.

Like I'm looking at mine at the moment and it is unlocked at the login level and that is the way it should be for both of you guys.

There comes a point though where it simply becomes simpler to delete all the keychains and start over if you can't get it working.

You might find more ideas in the rest of that thread...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.