iMac G5: Random shut-downs

Reaction score
I've had my iMac for about two years without any problems, but in the last few days it has been randoming shutting-down, and not in a smooth way either...one second it is on, the next its off.

I've checked the console/system logs and nothing is written to suggest why. I've also been running a temperature monitor and the CPU is usually running at about 58C when it shuts down. Now I dont know if thats overly hot or not, but it didnt seem so.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Is it a dodgy power-supply maybe?

Cheers for any help.

P.s. Its never shutdown while I've been working at it...which is strange.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, is your iMac G5 one of the ones with the iSight camera or with out the iSight? Some of the older iMacs before the iSight model had capacitor issues on the Motherboard which caused all sorts of issues over time. There was a recall, and if yours is one of the recalled models Apple may replace the Motherboard if that is the issue.

OP
N
Reaction score
No...I dont have a camera.

How can I tell if mine is likely to be one of the recalled ones? Like I said, I've had 2 years of trouble-free computing till now. Where the recalled ones that stable?

I still have a year of Apple Care left...I guess I should call them..just wanted to know something about the problem before talking to a helpdesk.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No...I dont have a camera.

How can I tell if mine is likely to be one of the recalled ones? Like I said, I've had 2 years of trouble-free computing till now. Where the recalled ones that stable?

I still have a year of Apple Care left...I guess I should call them..just wanted to know something about the problem before talking to a helpdesk.

Sometimes they were dead stable right up to when they messed up. I will try to find the listing of affected models. Calling Apple might be a good thing though. My iMac G5 with the iSight has been 100% stable except for some BAD after market RAM that showed up after 6 months or so of use. In fact most stable machine I have ever owned or used.

The older the iMac the more likely it is one of the affected models.

OP
N
Reaction score
Welcome neilly!

As dtravis points out, there are some recall programs for certain widespread issues in the first two iMac G5 generations.

Check these out: iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues and iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues.

Thanks for that...looks like mine is covered by the first link, as my iMac has an EMC = 2056....oh well...looks like i'm going to be without her for a while.

Once again..thanks for all the prompt help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
So what if you have or purchase an Imac that is not under applecare anymore?Can they still fix this problem for you for free?What if the computer has a problem with constantly going into sleep mode?

Reaction score
So what if you have or purchase an Imac that is not under applecare anymore?
MHC's first linked article says this, which is kind of vague (and needs an editor):
This program extends repair coverage on the specific component failure for up to three years from the date of purchase, however, Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

M

MacHeadCase

If you read the Apple pages I posted links to, those questions are answered. Just click on the links.

Edited to add:

Thanks Browny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Well i was just wondering that is all.Thank you for the help.I was curious about something that is somewhat like this.I have posted but have not gotten a response.If the G5 keeps telling you to reboot then what might be the problem?Is that covered as a problem as well?

M

MacHeadCase

Look at the Apple Support website. Just click on the Support tab: there's lots of stuff in there and you choose by the Mac model you have. That's how I found the recall programs for different Macs like the battery recall programs for iBooks, etc. You can even search the Knowledge Base articles there according to your Mac model.

OP
N
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I spoke with the local Apple Service Provider and they will pick it up, repair it and bring it back, free of charge...and it will only take 2-3 days...which is nice :D

M

MacHeadCase

Oh yeah a recall program if it is still underway means the repair bill is picked by Apple! Excellent news, neilly! :D

Reaction score
Had similar problems with my 1st gen iMac G5. Followed the recall procedure, took the machine to my local Apple store, had the maching back next day with a new power supply, no charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.