• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

perian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
hi guys!

for the seasoned mac users out there, have you guys heard of or used the quicktime plug-in "Perian"? it says it can play vids in other formats with your quicktime. I've encountered files I couldn't play with quicktime, and if and when they did play either the video or audio is missing. (i've tried installing divx, ac25 or was that ac3 something...)

seeing as I've had my macbook for barely 3 weeks, I'm very protective of her and wanted to check with you guys if Perian is reliable and won't wreck havok to my baby =P

thanks guys =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Many people will tell you perian is good. I've seen it spoken about many times on this forum so I can't see it causing any problems for you.

P.S. Is Dubai near Abu Dhabi? Just thought I'd set up a dashboard clock.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, it's about 2 hours away drive
, when you follow the speed limit, or 1.5 if you do't =P same time zone

i have the abudhabi timezone on my dashboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, it's about 2 hours away drive
, when you follow the speed limit, or 1.5 if you do't =P same time zone

i have the abudhabi timezone on my dashboard

Cool. We had some dignitaries from UAE at work recently looking at some of the things we are doing. Picked our brains for a while and took away some ideas. I sort of had the hope they may need one of us (or me) to live there for a while and get it going for them.....:D

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
probably for the better, coz the heat here this time of year is unbelievable! we've got highs of 42 degress celcius. hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like summertime in Australia.....I was working on a wheat property in the west of New South Wales a few years back and it was 47 at 2p.m. in the afternoon!!!! Too hot but I loved it. Everywhere you went you HAD to take water.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A lot of people here at Mac Forums use Perian. Schweb recommended it to me and I have never had an issue with it and use it on all my Macs, Both Intel and PPC. Highly recommended.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks dtravis7 (^.^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You can also try the freeware opensource app vlc player. It can play virtually any audio or video format....very handy!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have perian installed as well as a few other codecs and haven't run into any videos that I can't play in QuickTime

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi guys

i have an avi file that played with video but had no audio, quicktime prompted to download some plug-ins, i then went to xvid link and dowloaded and copied the xvidcodec r58 intel component and aviImporter r7 intel component to library\quicktime.

now the avi did play with audio but had no video =(

frustrated and desprerate...

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
by the way, these are what i have in my library\quicktime:

AC3MovieImport.component
AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component
DivX 6 Decoder.component
Divx Decoder.component
Divx Encoder.component
Perian.component
XviD_Codex-t58 (Intel).component

maybe I lack something? or are some of these in conflict with each other?

Reaction score
Well I've tried to get avi's to work in Quicktime but I never have any luck. So I just use vlc. A lot of other Mac users have it as well so you shouldn't worry about installing it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
by the way, these are what i have in my library\quicktime:

AC3MovieImport.component
AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component
DivX 6 Decoder.component
Divx Decoder.component
Divx Encoder.component
Perian.component
XviD_Codex-t58 (Intel).component

maybe I lack something? or are some of these in conflict with each other?
Theres a good chance that you have things conflicting.

I have the 3 divx codecs you list, perian, flip4mac, and the appleintermediatecodec and have yet to find a file I can't play in quicktime

Reaction score
Amazingly I just opened up a 2 hour long avi in Quicktime and it worked. I haven't installed anything so I'm guessing maybe the last software update fixed it.

ps. Actually I think I prefer vlc for longer movies. There are more options for sound and picture.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks i'll try the VLC, but will those avi files still play on frontrow?

and if i wanted to start fresh with the quicktime plug-ins, how do I remove the ones i already have? do i just delete the components? or is there some other way to uninstall them?

by the way, my frontrow's going haywire, i noticed it yesterday. When I try to browse and play my avi movies, the frontrow suddenly closes and goes back to my desktop, every single time. (kinda freaking out) any idea? might this be connected to my quicktime plugins? (<--- pure newbie speculation due to newbie paranoia =P)

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like there's issues with either your plugins or the actual avi files themselves. I think it's safe to just delete the components and see if that fixes the issue. You can always reinstall them.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It definitely sounds like there's issues with either your plugins or the actual avi files themselves. I think it's safe to just delete the components and see if that fixes the issue. You can always reinstall them.

oh so i just delete, no uninstallation or something?

i'm also following another thread: "Switcher Hangout : Big Problems!"

tnx!

Reaction score
Just move them to another folder just to be safe. If you really want a clean start then trash Quicktime, do a Spotlight search for any leftovers, trash them then reinstall Quicktime from scratch.

Do your avi files work in any other player?

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just move them to another folder just to be safe. If you really want a clean start then trash Quicktime, do a Spotlight search for any leftovers, trash them then reinstall Quicktime from scratch.

Do your avi files work in any other player?

i like the sound of trashing! =P so can i reinstall specifically quicktime only from the CDs that came with my macbook?

that particular avi file that closes front row by merely browsing over it, is actually a short home video emailed by my parents. i've played it in a windows PC and it does play with quicktime on my macbook when I double click it from finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.