In need of substitute for IE 5.5-6.x

Reaction score
Thanks for reading, first off I am a recent convert to mac and so far am loving the new platform. Only one snafu. A web based program we use at work requires IE 5.5-6.x to logon and work.
I have tried safari, and firefox, both the most current versions, maybe an older one would work? Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You are probably stuck. If your job requires you to use IE for specific software, then you will simply need to use Windows for your site to work properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I use Netscape Navigator......give it a try

OP
Michael415
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and will check it out. Worse comes to worse I will just keep my old pc and fire it up when I need to use those programs.

Reaction score
I found IE for Mac that was still available on a website. It loaded but wouldn't run properly.

It would run before the OS update to 10.4.9 — or maybe the update to 10.4.8 — but now it's hopeless, and getting rid of it again was tedious if not painful.

Its tentacles go everywhere, like an alien lifeform in Star Trek, wrapping itself around every nerve in the Mac's spinal column.

You could try a browser that can spoof IE. Firefox can do so with the User Agent Switcher extension. I'm not sure whether Safari can do so. It might (but I dunno) if the debug menu is turned on with the free Onyx or with any Safari extension that may or may not work with Safari 3.

But if the site requires Windows-only ActiveX, you'd be out of luck in any case.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also have a site we use at work that requires IE in order to log in. I have been able to spoof it into believing I had IE with Opera. Neither Firefox nor Safari would do it. But, even though I could log in and browse around a few of the pages, it would not allow most pages to load nor allow any further input nor downloads.

Luckily, my use of this site at home is extremely rare.

Reaction score
Hello, you said you're a recent convert, if you are using an intel Mac you can use Bootcamp and run Windows on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Crossover should run IE6 rather well. No need for dual booting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.