Permissions on External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have an external HD from western Digital that I used to use with my PC. Lately I have noticed I only have "Read only" Permissions. I can't delete anything from this drive. How do I change this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
If it is NTFS formated you can only "read" in Mac OS,if it is FAT32 you can read and write but there is a 4 GB limit on the file size.So if you want to use the disk on both Mac and PC you should
a) format it as FAT32
b)use Macdrive
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/
on your PC so you can have access to Mac formated disks
c)use NTFS-3G
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/
on your Mac so you can have access to NTFS formated disks

I'm not an expert but i hope i pointed you to the right direction.

OP
jmf421
Reaction score
What if I only have the MAc now and dont care about accessing it from a PC anymore? Would I do the same thing or go a different route?

M

MacHeadCase

If you only want Macs to read the external from now on, it's best you reformat in HFS+. You can use Apple's Disk Utility to reformat it. It should be located in your Utilities folder.

OP
jmf421
Reaction score
I dont see an option in the system utility to reformat or to format the drive so I just hit erase.

Is there another method to make sure I can read and write from my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
when your in disk utility, you have to click on the "enclosure" that is above the disk in the left side.

there will be a partition tab to the right once you select the enclosure, not the actual parition

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.