Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a laptop and are considering a Mac. My Dilemma is whether to get a speced-out Macbook or a lower end MBP. The price difference between my 2 models is about $400 AUD. Is it worth the extra for the MBP?

I currently use Ubuntu on my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
This is certainly a valid question. The answer, though, depends on what you intend to do with your new Mac. Perhaps you could give us some more information?

OP
G
Reaction score
My main usage is pretty stock standard: word processing, internet surfing and the like.

However, I program for a hobby, and plan to do something along the lines of CS at uni. I also play flight sims such as X-Plane, and I generally don't hear good thinks about Intel graphics and gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP•2GB | iPod
For gaming and running programs == MBP all day

If your juss surfin the web and doing some simple word processing your good with a macbook.

OP
G
Reaction score
Can you use an external screen with a Macbook? If so, a) is there a limit to the size of the screen and b) can you dual screen (ie, display on the MB and an external monitor at the same time) on the MB?

vxd

Reaction score
I say get MBP. Think of it this way if you buy the blackbook its $2200 you are already spending a lot of money so you might as well spend a little bit more money to get something better the lower end mbp $2800. its like buying a medium big mc meal for $5.50 whats another $.50 for a large. I never get medium LArge all the way baby.(explain why im fat) hahaa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
if you want to game - Macbook pro

if not - Macbook

Reaction score
Can you use an external screen with a Macbook? If so, a) is there a limit to the size of the screen and b) can you dual screen (ie, display on the MB and an external monitor at the same time) on the MB?
Yes. MacBooks have a 'mini-DVI' port so you need a $20 adapter; either a mini-DVI to VGA or a min-DVI to DVI.

On a MBP the F7 key cycles your displays between laptop only, monitor only, both. I 'assume' it's the same on MBs.

Reaction score
Oh, and here's an interesting link: MacBook vs MacBook Pro comparison chart http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/comparison_chart.html

External display max resolution for a MacBook is 1900x1200. Pretty impressive. My 24" ViewSonic does less than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
That chart is inaccurate to current models of MacBooks and MacBook Pros, by a couple of revisions, actually.

Reaction score
Drat! I assumed that a chart from apple.com would be up to date and didn't look it over carefully enough. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i was in the same position as you about 6 month ago. and i picked the Macbook Pro never regretted it cost me a bit more but its well worth it. even if its just for the bigger screen size.

i dont use mine for gaming .

Reaction score
What do you guys think would make sense for someone that already has an external monitor -- a Macbook or a Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Macbook.
I can play Counterstrike with no problems on my laptop. I have Vista Ultimate which runs Aero fine. Get a Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
This is pretty interesting; Primate Labs: Mac Performance
As you can see, the MBP (the 2.20 GHz version) performs just a little bit better than the maxed out MB.
So I think you should get the MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive
If you're going to be gaming or using any highly intensive programs - then definitely get the Macbook Pro. The standard Macbook was more than enough to suit my needs. It is quick, responsive, stable, small and portable, sleek, and quiet.

You keep mentioning external displays. Do you need a laptop? Why not get an iMac or a Mac Mini?

Symon

OP
G
Reaction score
If you're going to be gaming or using any highly intensive programs - then definitely get the Macbook Pro. The standard Macbook was more than enough to suit my needs. It is quick, responsive, stable, small and portable, sleek, and quiet.

You keep mentioning external displays. Do you need a laptop? Why not get an iMac or a Mac Mini?

Symon

Because I want to carry it around and use it on the desktop. If I was going for a desktop, I'd get Linux. But Linux is a headache on laptops: I want something that just works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.