MB vs. MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP•2GB | iPod
Well as some may know my macbook which was only 3 months old got stolen a couple days ago and I made a police report and contacted home owners insurance and I told the police the value of the notebook was 1600.00 USD. So anyways to make a long story short home owners is going to be sending me a check and it should be here mid week (tues-wed.)

My question is the MBP really a BIG step from the macbook ? Or do you think I would still be satisfied with another macbook. Basically my question is it really going to be worth the extra 400.00USD for a MBP ?

Thanks for the support fellas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
At this point I think it's more a question of you asking yourself if you were happy with your macbook. Is there anything you didn't like about it? Anything you would prefer that the MBP has? Bigger screen? Better GPU? Etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The big difference between the two performance wise is with applications that take advantage of the GPU. If your playing 3D games, using Final Cut, etc, then the upgrade is probably worth it.

As flilow06 noted. If you were happy with your Macbook, you'll need a personal reason to move up. So look at what was missing, or what new things you plan to do in the future.

Leopard will take advantage of the GPU I believe for it's eye candy effects. How important is that though, really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
screen size, increased performance, better graphics, sexy design... are just some of the features that make this the better choice, but it is at the end of the day a matter of personal preference. For me though, when I had decided to purchase a Mac, it was MBP and I never for one moment considered getting the macbook, not that the MB is not a well made product, but I just wanted the MBP.... just look at it and its specs and you will see what I mean.. aside from the fact that it is constructed better than the MB and has significantly less issues than the MB. Although, that doesn't mean it does not have its problems, but they are not as many.

hope that helps-- and sorry some prick stole your top.. dude, hopefully it will crash and fail, though since it is a mac, that is not likely.

OP
notoriousvdh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP•2GB | iPod
You guys think the MBP will run QUAKE 2 solid ?

Also will it run photoshop cs2 smooth ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
CS2 for Windows? Yes. CS2 for Mac. Not so much since it isn't native Intel Code. You'll need CS3 for that.

Reaction score
You guys think the MBP will run QUAKE 2 solid ?

Quake 2 will run like a dream on a MBP. I'm guessing you'll have to use boot camp (I use boot camp, works very well on my new edition MBP). Will not run very well at all on the MB. The main reason being that the MB has 64mb of SHARED video, the MBP has a 128mb nvidia 8600m GT video card in it. I play CS:S and on 1440x900 with all graphics options turned on I get between 110-140fps. Not bad for a laptop :) Hope this helped.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.