Cleaning the keyboard

Reaction score
Hi,

I've committed the Ultimate Sin™ by spilling juice over my keyboard. I immediately switched the laptop off, pulled the plug (battery as well) and dried the keyboard as best as I could. Afterwards, I restarted and everything seemed to work well. One or two keys were the slightest bit sticky but I hoped that time would solve this problem.

However, now, one day later, the keys are starting to get really sticky and the problem actually gets worse and worse to point that some keys barely respond anymore. On a "normal" laptop I would just remove the keys by pushing a small knife between them and pulling them free, then clean them one by one. However, with a MBP (and still running Apple Care extended support) I don't want to void my warranty that easily and risk destroying something.

Is there a way of cleaning the space between keys and base plate without voiding the warranty? I would also be willing to dig into my purse in order to get the problem solved. Are there any companies who offer such a cleaning service (preferably locally, i.e. in Berlin, Germany)? Does Apple offer such a service?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi,

I've committed the Ultimate Sin™ by spilling juice over my keyboard. I immediately switched the laptop off, pulled the plug (battery as well) and dried the keyboard as best as I could. Afterwards, I restarted and everything seemed to work well. One or two keys were the slightest bit sticky but I hoped that time would solve this problem.

However, now, one day later, the keys are starting to get really sticky and the problem actually gets worse and worse to point that some keys barely respond anymore. On a "normal" laptop I would just remove the keys by pushing a small knife between them and pulling them free, then clean them one by one. However, with a MBP (and still running Apple Care extended support) I don't want to void my warranty that easily and risk destroying something.

Is there a way of cleaning the space between keys and base plate without voiding the warranty? I would also be willing to dig into my purse in order to get the problem solved. Are there any companies who offer such a cleaning service (preferably locally, i.e. in Berlin, Germany)? Does Apple offer such a service?

What has likely happened is that the juice penetrated the space between the mechanical mechanisms that control the movement of the keys and the membrane beneath the tray those mechanisms are mounted to. The juice likely fouled the circuit board that the membrane makes contact with - making it difficult or impossible for the membrane to short the contacts when you press a key.

There is no easy way to clean this type of keyboard - replacing it is typically the easiest way to rectify the problem.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Konrad! I've looked at FixIt Guide website and there is no self-repair How To for keyboards. So looks like what cwa says is your best option: get it replaced by a repair shop.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for both your answers.

What has likely happened is that the juice penetrated the space between the mechanical mechanisms that control the movement of the keys and the membrane beneath the tray those mechanisms are mounted to. The juice likely fouled the circuit board that the membrane makes contact with - making it difficult or impossible for the membrane to short the contacts when you press a key.
I gues my wording was somewhat incorrect – the keys do actually respond but they require a bit more pressure and do not pop back up immediately. So I guess/hope the damage is purely mechanical.

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Konrad! I've looked at FixIt Guide website and there is no self-repair How To for keyboards. So looks like what cwa says is your best option: get it replaced by a repair shop.
Okay, thanks a lot. I've feared as much.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi,

thanks for both your answers.

I gues my wording was somewhat incorrect – the keys do actually respond but they require a bit more pressure and do not pop back up immediately. So I guess/hope the damage is purely mechanical.

Okay, thanks a lot. I've feared as much.

The membrane probably is coated with dried, sticky juice making the keys less responsive. You can probably pop the keys off and try cleaning around the membrane, but it might be very difficult to get them back on depending on the design of the mechanical "guides". If it were mine, I'd probably just bite the bullet and replace it. If it's more than one or two keys, it's more trouble than it's worth - I've spent hours trying to get key surfaces remounted on laptop keyboards depending on the design of the mount.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been to an official Mac service provider store and was told that they could probably clean the keyboard. The procedure takes approximately 10 days and costs about 80 EUR (there's a 24h service which costs an additional 75%). At the moment, I'm awaiting their call and pining for my MBP (I'm using a spare enterprise laptop during that time).

I'll keep you posted about any results (just in case somebody ever commits the same mistake).

Reaction score
Hi,I'm a newbie at this forum but I alsojust spilt somelemon juice to my macbook and space bar becomes really sticky.
Can I know how's the end resultof the cleaningservice from apple service?

I'm lucky that itdoesn't seemsto reach my logicboard (I don't know for sure but my macbook is working allright besides sticky spacebar and arrows that drive me nuts), but I need to wait for 2 weeks before I can go to a Apple service after I got back from travelling. Any tips that would likely safe mymacbook until apple service them?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,

didn't go very well. I ended up paying 150 EUR (about 240 USD) for repair. In fact, the keyboard was replaced. Now, everything's as good as new (well, technically it *is* new).

So, that taught me a lesson. Unfortunately, I'm back to drinking right in front of the laptop after just a few weeks of successful abstinence. I can't really imagine working a whole day on it and not drinking (or, standing up and walking away every time I want a drink).

The next time something similar happens (not that I plan it), this is what I'm going to do: I'll immediately shut down the notebook, unplug it from the power, remove the battery and rinse the keyboard part carefully with clean water (using a wash bottle for dosing). Obviously, I can't advise anyone else doing this (so try at your own risk) but I believe the keyboard part is really rather waterproof. After that, I'll let it dry and replug the power.

Reaction score
Don't use water, instead use contact/electrical cleaner. It isn't as conductive as water and evaporates really quick. I use it on cleaning a wide range of electronic components.

I have had coke spilt on my keyboard (wasn't me i had people over and someone knocked over their glass) and my keys were sticky and my mouse button made a loud clicking noise when i used it. I was planning to take it apart and clean the keyboard but noticed that its quite hard to seperate the keyboard from the top case. I have yet to have time to go out and buy some contact cleaner but after using it for about a month after the spill the keys stopped sticking and it seems like everythings back to normal. But when i find myself in a hardware store or radio shack i will buy a bottle and blast away at my keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
I was in the mac store outside of dallas about a month ago and i saw that iskin keyboard protector. It looks pretty stylish, but i had a question about it that the salesman couldnt seem to answere. When ever it becomes dark and your keys light up, does the keyboard letterings still shine through?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
Don't use water, instead use contact/electrical cleaner. It isn't as conductive as water and evaporates really quick. I use it on cleaning a wide range of electronic components.

Would like... a glasses lenses cleaner work as well? I've used water but it never works. My keys are always still somewhat grimy. Or at least it feels grimy, and it's very shiny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Konrad,
Might I suggest for a mere 24.99 usd ...
http://iskin.com/protouch_mbookpro_overview.html
especially if you still want to drink around your MBP...won't stop everything on a good spill but it may save you $$$ in the long run.

i bought one of the black ones, no more keyboard lights. has a very nice look to it, but its mapped for the older keyboard layout, not the new penryns.

still debating what to do with it. probably taking it back.

see my protection thread:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103466

good stuff, and PIX!

Reaction score
Avoiding the spill

I came here looking for answers, as I've recently dosed my MBP in wine.

I was pretty sure I'd killed my MBP and would have to buy another, but after leaving it in pieces for a day, I found out I'd only killed the battery and the keyboard. As seems usual from comments here, it started off with one partly sticky key, and has been getting worse.

For the moment,
I'm using a bluetooth keyboard ( apple, natch).
I've disabled the built in keyboard ( sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext/
)
I'm going with the electrical switch cleaner option ( although I think I'll need to take at least a couple of key caps off for entry and exit)
There is video of key removal at http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=jSpPlMdGvVI, which doesn't look too painful.
I'm considering getting one of those wide bottomed nautical cups, they're pretty hard to knock over ( my spillage was actually due to the boat rocking).

I think the main problem with using the bluetooth is that it probably lets the built in keyboard get really gummed up.

Gordon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.