External HD Problem!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi
I have an external HD that will not show up on my mac. It will work with my partners pc but when I connect it to my mac nothing shows. The last time I had it working on mac, it was unplugged before I ejected from the desktop. This happened a few times but after I plugged it into my partners pc then back into the mac it was fine. How do I get this to work again?

thanks

Dan

Reaction score
Uhhhh... plug it into your partner's PC and then back into your Mac?

Seriously, I'm not sure you've given us enough to go on. Describe the HD. Is it a powered unit or just running off of USB? Is it even USB or Firewire? How is it formatted -- FAT32 or NTFS? Are you using the same connection for both the PC and the Mac (i.e. USB or Firewire?)?

I've seen 2.5" external drives that are USB-powered that work fine on a PC but not on a Mac -- something to do with the power differences being output from the two machines.

Toss a few more details our way, Dan, and I'm sure the folks who are smarter than I (and that's most of them) will be happy to help with suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.