Keep being asked to force restart

Reaction score
Hello, My Powerbook G4 randomly keeps producing the grey screen asking me to force restart my machine. This can occur regardless of whether I am using a software application or have a device plugged in. I have tried using disk utility and repair disk and all seems okay, no errors but it stills occurs. I have also made a clean install of my software and it still continues from time to time, am I right in thinking it could be hardware related?

If anyone has had similar issues and resolved them please let me know how.

Many Thanks,

Kyle

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hello, My Powerbook G4 randomly keeps producing the grey screen asking me to force restart my machine. This can occur regardless of whether I am using a software application or have a device plugged in. I have tried using disk utility and repair disk and all seems okay, no errors but it stills occurs. I have also made a clean install of my software and it still continues from time to time, am I right in thinking it could be hardware related?

If anyone has had similar issues and resolved them please let me know how.

Many Thanks,

Kyle

Do you still have the CD/DVD's that came with the machine? If so reboot and run the Apple Hardware Test. See if it finds any issues. Is the machine totally stock or have you added any after market memory? I could be bad RAM. What you have there is a Kernel Panic.

Also what are the Specs of the Powerbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.