Switching from Linux

Reaction score
I'm considering switching from my Ubuntu PC to a mac of some kind. I've got two questions: I like to do a little editing (photo,video,audio) every now and then, I like to game a little bit, and I need quite a bit of memory to hold files of all kinds. What mac should I get? The main reasons I switched from windows to Linux was my computer (windows) was in horrible shape because of viruses, spy ware, etc. and the other was customization with a little work I could make my Ubuntu box look like anything. How customizable is the OS X interface? Thank You in advance to whoever replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I think your probably for the iMac. The iMac is the mid-range desktop Mac, and is built entirely into the monitor, so there's no annoying tower.

I've had one for two months, and it's definitely the best computer for first time Mac users. It's about equal to the average PC users' PC.

It also has Bluetooth, wireless internet, built in speakers, webcam and microphone as standard and can be customized to a pretty powerful level.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the osx interface is not very customizable with the native tools, but there are many programs available (like shapeshifter and cleardock) that can help make the desktop a bit more to your liking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
You can also run many of the window managers available for Linux, too but that's defeating the purpose of OS X Aqua, etc (you have to run X11, etc).
Go with Shapeshifter, there are a few themes that are reminiscent of some Linux window managers.
many open source apps you've become familiar with are out there for OS X already - Audacity, Gimp (try Seashore - a cocoa native port of GIMP), X-Chat.
The GAIM (sorry, it will always be GAIM to me ;) ) equivalent on OS X is Adium.

I'm a 100% Linux/FreeBSD guy that went Mac (again) when OS X was released (feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions about the Linux-to-Mac switch)

Reaction score
Welcome! After five years with Linux I switched the end of last year to Mac and do not regret it for an instant. My Linux experience was good but (to me anyway) Mac is the best.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank You for all your help, but I have one more question and I'm sure you've been asked this a thousand times should I wait for leopard or get a mac now?

Reaction score
Thank You for all your help, but I have one more question and I'm sure you've been asked this a thousand times should I wait for leopard or get a mac now?

That is a personal decision but I would have a hard time waiting that long. I had been running Panther so I purchased an Tiger upgrade for less then $60.00 from www.yourmacstore.com. Since you are talking about a new unit that decision is not quite the same.

Reaction score
As someone who was in the same boat as you for a long time, you should defenitely wait for Leopard. Not only to have the latest OS pre-installed, but by then Apple will most likely have refreshed the iMac line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.