First Mac OS X meltdown

Reaction score
The weirdest thing just happened. I don't even know what. I tried to run Mail.. it wouldn't even run. Actually, it opened, then crashed immediately, then was stuck and I had to force quit. Also, a .doc file on my desktop which USUALLY looks like a NeoOffice doc looked..different. Like a mountain range(?????). I could hardly run anything properly. I opened the doc, NeoOffice ran but nothing ever showed up.. it basically froze up. I had to restart the system, because no matter how much I force quit Mail & NeoOffice and restarted, they wouldn't function properly. Oh, and spinning beach ball of death everywhere.

What...the...HECK?

OP
C
Reaction score
fsck came out OK. By the way, I don't think all that reboot is necessary, is it? Looks like fsck -fy is the same as doing "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility.

This must've just been a fluke. Very odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
hmm i wonder who decided to call it fsck -fy

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
fsck mean file system check. the options fy is f for force and y is yes to all questions asked.

Reaction score
By the way, I don't think all that reboot is necessary, is it? Looks like fsck -fy is the same as doing "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility.
Verify Disk run from Disk Utility in the computer doesn't fix anything, and Repair Disk won't run if its on the boot disk. Running fsck is the same as running Repair Disk but without the DVD hassle if Verify says something's wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
fsck mean file system check. the options fy is f for force and y is yes to all questions asked.

yes i know it has a meaning but still it was pretty stupid to go around calling it **** -fy.

Mail crashes on me ALOT. I think it has something to do with the HTTPMail plugin. It just gives me the spinning rainbow pinwheel of gay fun until I get bored and Force Quit it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
yes i know it has a meaning but still it was pretty stupid to go around calling it **** -fy.

I suspect that was at least partially deliberate. Just for the humor value of being able to say, "Oh, fsck, the disk is corrupted!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.