About To Purchase 20-Inch iMac, BUT...

Reaction score
...There are a few things I'd like to know.

1.I heard that Apple was going to refresh the iMac line towards the end of June. Can anyone can confirm this and tell me what changes might be planned for this update?

2. With Leapord(sp?) coming out later this year, will my machine become obsilete very early?

3. Since I realize the Mac community isn't one for games, are there ANY games that play well on an iMac and has a large multiplayer community?

The first two questions are the most important, though.

Reaction score
No one knows when the iMac will be updated but it is deep into its product lifecycle and everyone is anticipating an update soon. Will it be June? Will it be October? There's a lot of speculation but no guarantee. I'd say that you should wait a month or two if you can... if you NEED a computer now, buy now.

Yes, Leopard is scheduled for an October release. Probably about $129 to upgrade (based on previous upgrades). No, your iMac will not be obsolete for quite some time -- whether you buy it now or wait for the next release.

OP
Title27GT
Reaction score
No one knows when the iMac will be updated but it is deep into its product lifecycle and everyone is anticipating an update soon. Will it be June? Will it be October? There's a lot of speculation but no guarantee. I'd say that you should wait a month or two if you can... if you NEED a computer now, buy now.

Yes, Leopard is scheduled for an October release. Probably about $129 to upgrade (based on previous upgrades). No, your iMac will not be obsolete for quite some time -- whether you buy it now or wait for the next release.

I've been waiting for a new computer for so long, but I'm really really afraid that I'm going to spend 1500 dollars(really my life savings) and Apple is going to dish out a new line the next month.

OP
Title27GT
Reaction score
Another question, if I buy a 20-inch iMac after leapord comes out, will the computer come with leapord?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
really, you need to just let people answer in their own time. bumping your own post like this a few times in the matter of about 15 minutes is rediculous.

sigh. yes. if leopard is available, new macs should come with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
remember that if you buy an iMac now, and they update them the day after, but you don't hear about it, you would still think that your Mac was the greatest thing ever. Just remember that if you didn't know about any updates that happen, you wouldn't have seen any flaws in your computer.

Yeah, unlike with Vista, you won't find yourself buying the new system, only to find that you have to buy a new processor and more RAM to run it!

Reaction score
don't be so high-strung over something you can't control. we bought our 24" iMac about two months ago and when I head a rumor about a redesign in June I kind of kicked myself.

then it turned out to be just a rumor, and I'm still sitting in front of one of the only puchases I've made in my life with absolutely no regrets. $129.00 for the Leopard upgrade looks like a bargain in the near future to me.

switching to our Macs has been one of the most satisfying, enjoyable thing my family has done.

OP
Title27GT
Reaction score
don't be so high-strung over something you can't control. we bought our 24" iMac about two months ago and when I head a rumor about a redesign in June I kind of kicked myself.

then it turned out to be just a rumor, and I'm still sitting in front of one of the only puchases I've made in my life with absolutely no regrets. $129.00 for the Leopard upgrade looks like a bargain in the near future to me.

switching to our Macs has been one of the most satisfying, enjoyable thing my family has done.

Thanks, but since I made the original post I've decided to wait til October when the redesign will be finished and Leopard will come pre-installed. My birthday is in July and I was really hoping to get my computer then. But, since I really want the most up-to-date system, I'll have to bear the excruciating 4 and a half month wait. Oh dear!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Nobody knows when the next iMac will be out. There are rumours everyday. You will never get a definite answer until it appears on Apple's website.

Look at the current iMac though - Core2Duo processors, big flat panel screen, SATA hard drive, a gig of RAM. If a new iMac came out tomorrow, there's actually little that could be made better.

Leopard might be out in October, but it doesn't mean the iMac will be updated.

4 and a half months is a long time and it's silly to wait just because you 'want the most up to date system'. The most up to date system is already available for sale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
whenever you buy your mac, u will get leopard on the same date. if leopard comes out on October 15, and u buy ur mac now, u get leopard on october 15. waiting 4 months just to save $129 seems a little bit rediculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram
I was going to hold off also, but i bought my first mac 3 weeks ago (20" C2D iMac)

Reaction score
3. World of Warcraft

ps. my two cents, buy imac now, upgrade to leopard when it comes out in October.

Reaction score
Plus the games bit looks like it's starting to change, that's not just down to apple it's down to the software houses producing games for the Mac's, if I had the money I'd switch tomorrow, stupid but I just want to watch that Keynote presentation again. Is it a disease...:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.