Error:"panic: we are hanging here"

Reaction score
Hi i am new to this website. I just got an emac from a local surplus store tha thas a 1ghz, igb ram, 80gb harddrive and a dvd drive. I borrowed my friends mac osx install cd that came with is ibook he just brought about 3 weeks ago. O btw the harddrive is wiped. When i put in the disk it trys to load up in to the mac osx setup to install it but then i get this error. at the top of the page it says "unable to find driver for this platform"
and at the bottem of the page i get "panic: we are hanging here" some one please tell me how to fix it. this is my first real mac so i want to to be a good experence caz im trying to move away from windows which i love so much. thank you in advance.
-Sam

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is your friends Mac a Macbook or iBook? Is his a new machine or did he buy it used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Sorry - Mac OS X Install discs are system-specific. That means your pals iBook disc won't work with an eMac.

It's even more complicated if your friend has a MacBook, not an iBook. iBooks and eMacs had PowerPC processors. MacBooks and all the new Macs have Intel ones, they use different programming languages or something.

You should buy a Mac OS X Install Disc from Apple. They work with all PowerPC Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.